Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it matter when you get your protein for the day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hutchinson View Post
    Im not huge by any means but I tried to do that "eat every 3 hours" meal timing but it just doesn't work for me. I'm not a big fan of eating in the morning. I usually wake up, have some coffee with milk and sugar then hit the gym by 11am. I train then take a protein shake with 30g protein/50g dextrose and some creatine. Once I get home i'll make "lunch" then chill. Go coach some more and eat a bar or 2 to hold me over until dinner. I eat a "big" dinner then usually snack on stuff before bed. So I do pretty much all my eating from 1pm until 11pm. It works for me. I'm going on 31, still hitting pretty much the same numbers as I did when I was 21 plus I'm doing a shit ton more crossfit type workouts. Body weight is the same but I definitely look way leaner than I did in my weightlifting prime.
    Its not supposed to be easy. There is a reason why you dont see big muscular lean guys everywhere. Think about it, almost every guy in the gym would kill to be big and muscular, yet, almost none are (even though literally half ov them are on steroids). Those who are, know how to eat, and they suffer for it. I cant seem to break much past 222lbs these days, whereas i used to be as lean at 232, and almost as lean at 245. I just cant bring myself to eat like i did. Its important to be a certain size, but not important enough to literally hate food like i used to.
    Last edited by Judas; 08-09-2018 at 02:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    And all this 'research' and 'studies'... yeah, i hear about that shit all the time. All these little guys in the gym coming up and defending their lack ov gains with all this 'science'. Yeah, maybe the bro's aren't as up on their studies, but their shit works, and its proven, time and time again. Eat a lot, and often, protein at every meal. Fuck intermittent fasting and all these guys who keep trying to reinvent the wheel. I bet none ov these (actually) big guys follow their own advice.

There was an Animal advert there in the mags some time ago, one ov those 'hardcore' black and white ones, had that massive bodybuilder guy they always used, and in this one, he was sitting at a table, big plate ov food in front ov him, and the line said: 'I will not puke.' I used to hate that ad, trying so hard to be badass, that and the absurdity ov it all, literally eating until it comes back up, then forcing down more. But the thing is, it was actually true. To break certain plateaus (ov mass) that IS what it takes. It can get ugly, and its not fun. Now, whether anyone HERE needs to eat like that is debatable, but it is still useful for illustrating the basics ov building uncommon mass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    RP's hierarchy of nutrition elements is pretty spot on, with nutrient timing being pretty low on the list. Make sure you're hitting the more important stuff first like total calories, then specific macro rations, then food quality. I remember seeing something about intermittent fasting for weight loss showing that people who did IF lost more muscle mass than those who used traditional calorie restriction. Whether or not that was due to specifically a late delivery or protein, or total calories is unclear.

Personally because when I train in the morning, I eat a heavy carb breakfast. For a little while I followed Poliquin's "meat and nuts" breakfast on days I didn't train, and I definitely felt pretty good doing it. Here's a link to that

https://www.strengthsensei.com/the-m...uts-breakfast/
    Absolutely utterly disagree with this one. I find nutrition timing to be right near the top. That is pretty much the main thing i change when its time to really bulk. When its not, i eat enough, but whenever. When i need more, well... i start being vigilant about the timing, and the changes are evident immediately. I tend to train more powerlifters than weightlifters because ov where i am, and i've found this to be true, every time. When i was 20-25lbs heavier, i was obsessed with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Closet bodybuilder/powerlifter triggered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Justin Harris did a good segment on this over at Elitefts. Goes into the whole pre and post workout nutrition bit and science behind why "timing" isn't really a necessity. I used to be obsessed with "nutrient timing" etc and getting extra protein in through shakes blah blah blah. Once I focused more on quality whole foods and 3 good meals and a couple of snacks per day I got bigger and leaner. Went from a softer 215-220 lbs to a leaner than that 235-240. No supps, no shakes, no timing.

Post Thanks / Like
    And, if it is the sooner you eat the better then would this give the nod to the whey?
    Because whey breaks down 2.5x faster than egg protein. Egg protein used to be considered the gold standard for protein until whey got popular but whey has been well known since the time of the Hippocrates.

Also, it looks like 2.5g of enyzmes really boosts absorption. https://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-whey-too-much

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Because whey breaks down 2.5x faster than egg protein. Egg protein used to be considered the gold standard for protein until whey got popular but whey has been well known since the time of the Hippocrates.

Also, it looks like 2.5g of enyzmes really boosts absorption. https://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-whey-too-much
    So whey isolate is the preferred source of protein when you wake?

Post Thanks / Like
    If it’s optimal to eat every three hours should you wake up through out the night and eat? Does doing this outweigh the benefits of sleeping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillicl View Post
    If it’s optimal to eat every three hours should you wake up through out the night and eat? Does doing this outweigh the benefits of sleeping?
    You're reading into what most of us are saying here. Eating every few hours, pounding back shakes whenever you're awake, and so on is just bro science. The only thing this accomplishes is increasing total caloric intake by the end of the day/week; it has nothing to do with nutrient timing in those hours.

Nutrient timing (based on research) does not really matter. You do not need to pound back a large protein shake immediately upon waking nor do you need to wake up in the middle of the night to eat in order to maintain protein synthesis. That is all bro science. All the matters is hitting the macros and micros by the end of a 24hr period or better yet think of it as a weekly period so you can look at averages to eat day to day. There is strong evidence to support the notion of nutrient timing being more or less bogus.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, you definitely shouldnt wake up mid sleep cycle to pound whey every 3hrs. You can avoid this by taking egg or casein or whatever other protein or just eat food some hours before you sleep.

Because you would be sacrificing deep sleep for something that isn't necessary.

Your body can adjust how fast or slow it processes protein sources besides ingesting fat to do so.

Eat a big steak before you go to sleep.

"Chicken is for losers, winners eat steak."