Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap pound bad alternative?

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap pound bad alternative?

So my gym no longer wants me to drop the weights from overhead and it's my only option at this point. I can drop onto a dense pad they said but pounds pads are rediculously expensive for what they are. Any cheap alternatives you can think of? We already have a platform and rogue bumper plates but the concrete got busted under the plywood and rubber stall mats and the owner is sure it was from me dropping weights from overhead even though I'm pretty sure it was probably the guts deadlifting 500+ lbs with all metal plates. Ideas appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get those foam puzzle mats and just duct tape the whole pack together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well you could just not drop the weight from overhead. It isn't that hard. If my memory is correct, bumper plates came into being in the mid1970s. Before then you had to control the weight on its way to the floor. Plates were solid iron. Simply dropping the weight would tear up your platform or damage the floor or whatever was below the floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 2 Foam plyo boxes. I bought 2 from titan fitness about a year ago. They've held up pretty well. They also double as safeties for squats too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Echternacht View Post
    Well you could just not drop the weight from overhead. It isn't that hard. If my memory is correct, bumper plates came into being in the mid1970s. Before then you had to control the weight on its way to the floor. Plates were solid iron. Simply dropping the weight would tear up your platform or damage the floor or whatever was below the floor.
    Wasn't it common to have a sort of "controlled drop?" I've seen that a lot in videos from the 50s/60s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Echternacht View Post
    How on earth do you lower a 90%+ snatch safely without hurting yourself?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a cheap memory foam mattress from Craigslist for $50 then cut it to sizes I wanted and the put small pieces of horse stall mats on top. If need be you can double up the foam. The stall mats are crucial because they are solid enough to spread the impact across the foam and keep the weights from hitting the floor while the foam softens the blow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been to a gym that bought a bunch of sheets of foam and used ratchet straps to hold them together. Made them easy to modify the thickness too. Not sure where they bought the sheets of foam from though, never asked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pufatr01 View Post
    How on earth do you lower a 90%+ snatch safely without hurting yourself?
    Some form of the David Rigert method, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    Some form of the David Rigert method, I guess.

Haha yeah that would also be frowned upon at my establishment.