Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help with squat depth

Post Thanks / Like

Please help with squat depth

Hello.

Has anyone with poor ankle mobility used heel lifts? My mobility is so bad that even with oly lifting shoes I still can’t get down well...I looked up product like this https://www.amazon.com/squatLIFTS-wo.../dp/B07CGB7DSJ

Would anyone share their experience with any product they’ve used?

I unfortunately broke my ankle last year, and left that ankle with horrible dorsiflexion mobility

I’m now 10 months post op, bones healed well, finished physical therapy and had been able to not only be able to lift weights, but do plyometrics as well. Only problem being poor dorsiflexion, so that my heels like to come up...

Even with a full physical therapy, I was not able to regain all of my dorsiflexion, although it did improve in comparison to when I started. I did all kinds of dorsiflexion mobility drills, especially half kneeling one with posterior band distraction, VERY dilligently, but I hit a wall after about 3-4 months...

Whenever I squat, my injured leg still feels a lot of sensation of blockage in the front of my ankle as I go down, with the knees coming forward, and if I try to force it, I feel pain and the heel coming up, which destroys my stability.

I had exceptionally good mobility and squat technique (though not particularly strong) prior to the injury, and had squatted for about 4.5 years.

I don’t know what I can do to regain my mobility and I have no idea how long it will take to get it resolved, so I want to find temporary means to get stronger in the meantime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Su Dajin grafted extra heels under his shoes that some other WLers in China have done.

So go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend the opposite approach. If you keep raising the heel, you’ll never get better dorsiflexion. I have people squat barefoot and get as low as they can with good form. I’ve helped several lifters improve this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an athlete with very bad ankles from playing handball professionally. Simple cork heel lifts from a shoe store did the trick for her. Put them inside her weightlifting shoes. I believe it was almost an inch of extra height for her.

One thing that I think is common for people with bad ankles or ankle-mobility is extra weak quads. If your ankles dont bend very well you will use your quads very little in your every day life, and this tendency will often manifest itself when you go into strength training. You rely on your hip extensors and back more.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had my romaleo heels raised. I tore my meniscus lifting in them. no idea if it was related but I won't lift in raised heels again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Su Dajin grafted extra heels under his shoes that some other WLers in China have done.

So go for it.
    wow, thanks for a nice example at such a high level. Some people were saying that this may contribute to his inconsistency, but for me at least, squat is more of my priority than snatch and clean and jerk at this moment, so it probably won't matter as much I'd think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinZybach View Post
    I recommend the opposite approach. If you keep raising the heel, you’ll never get better dorsiflexion. I have people squat barefoot and get as low as they can with good form. I’ve helped several lifters improve this way.
    Well, remember that it is not lack of discipline/time spent on working on mobility.....I initially had it exceptionally good prior to the injury and it's still exceptional on the non-injured side. I just lost it on that one side due to privious injury. I think I'm probably going to need some serious clinical help in order to get it back....maybe even surgery...hope not.

I actually been doing a lot of squat in vibram five fingers, while doing lot of isolated ankle mobility for many months, only to have it stagnate after about 3-4 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    I had an athlete with very bad ankles from playing handball professionally. Simple cork heel lifts from a shoe store did the trick for her. Put them inside her weightlifting shoes. I believe it was almost an inch of extra height for her.

One thing that I think is common for people with bad ankles or ankle-mobility is extra weak quads. If your ankles dont bend very well you will use your quads very little in your every day life, and this tendency will often manifest itself when you go into strength training. You rely on your hip extensors and back more.
    Thanks for sharing your athlete's success story, I hope it works well for me as well, if I were to go with something like that.

I know what you're saying. People that can't dorsiflex have to use push their butt back, which forces their torso to lean forward more, making the movement more hip dominant vs knee dominant (knee flexion, which requires more ankle dorsifleixon to happen)

I'm hoping that I can find something that will put me at an angle that would provide stability, balanced strength building with heavy weights, while I find a way to regain my ankle mobility itself as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    i had my romaleo heels raised. I tore my meniscus lifting in them. no idea if it was related but I won't lift in raised heels again.
    Oh no....I'm really sorry to hear that. If you don't mind, would you share how it happened (what exercise, was there sudden episode, was there technical breakdown such as knee buckle) and how long it was after you got your heels raised?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bamb00sm View Post
    Well, remember that it is not lack of discipline/time spent on working on mobility.....I initially had it exceptionally good prior to the injury and it's still exceptional on the non-injured side. I just lost it on that one side due to privious injury. I think I'm probably going to need some serious clinical help in order to get it back....maybe even surgery...hope not.

I actually been doing a lot of squat in vibram five fingers, while doing lot of isolated ankle mobility for many months, only to have it stagnate after about 3-4 months.
    I didn’t mean to infer a lack of discipline or effort so I apologize if I sounded that way. I’ve just seen people continue to try and get higher heel shoes and inserts and never really address the problem. Vibrams are pretty much barefoot so sounds like you already tried my approach. Good luck.