Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fundamental of the Soviet System

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to bump an old thread, but curious on a couple of points regarding this book. I just got this at the recommendation of the Utah Barbell coach who edited it and uses the programming in the book. I got it Monday and have been working my way through it. I'll definitely agree with the lack of any substantive information regarding training, also very much a lack of explanation of how to use the programming. Such as: if on the 3, 4, or 5 day per week program are there suggested days? Also, about subbing the variations for the classics, it's not mentioned anywhere in the book, so can you sub out hang or block work instead of classics? I'm also curious as to how well this programming will get you stronger in the squat?

Anyways, it seems very interesting. As I'm making a decision to hire a programming coach, this book has me thinking about programming in a very balanced way. I will say that I do not have Medvedev's book or any others related to the soviet system (I do have Takano's though and my impression was the programming was way too much for a Master).

Post Thanks / Like
    That is where programming as an art comes in. Subbing in variations all depends on the goal of the training phase. Powers for speed work, blocks for position or power development, and so on.

Alternating 3, 4, and 5 day plans is a way to change up the volume of training pretty easily as opposed to manipulating individual workouts week to week you would simply remove/add one or two. Common schemes are M/W/F or T/Th/Sa for three workouts per week, M/T/Th/F or Sa for 4 days, and M/T/W/F/Sa for 5 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    That is where programming as an art comes in. Subbing in variations all depends on the goal of the training phase. Powers for speed work, blocks for position or power development, and so on.

Alternating 3, 4, and 5 day plans is a way to change up the volume of training pretty easily as opposed to manipulating individual workouts week to week you would simply remove/add one or two. Common schemes are M/W/F or T/Th/Sa for three workouts per week, M/T/Th/F or Sa for 4 days, and M/T/W/F/Sa for 5 days.
    Awesome!! Thanks so much for that. I'm going to end up hiring a coach, but wanted to make sure I understood this a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post

This!!!
    Alternating the days per week is a great way to manipulate volume! I like running macrocycles where I will train every other day. Thus, two weeks are 4 days/week and two weeks are 3 days/week.

5. Likes Bulldog73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    This!!!
    Alternating the days per week is a great way to manipulate volume! I like running macrocycles where I will train every other day. Thus, two weeks are 4 days/week and two weeks are 3 days/week.
    That's a really interesting idea. My only problem is that I like/tend to lift on the same days each week.