Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Scott Hisaka Suspect in Fatal DUI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LiftTheWorld View Post
    if this was some homeless crackhead who stole a car while high and mowed down a 7 year-old girl, everyone would (SHOULD) be in uproar. This is the exact same thing, again, f*ck him, and f*ck everyone who supports him. I only hope he meets a slower, more painful fate than that of the innocent person he killed. Maybe go and ask the guys parents if they place "killing someone by irresponsible behaviour" at 1230?
    they wouldn't be good people to ask that question. for obvious reasons.

so i take it you're saying outcome should be factored in along with intent?
    Last edited by ryanwtyler; 12-11-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan discussing "moral philosophy" when someone did actually die and families are affected is in bad taste as it makes an academic experiment out of people's real lived in tragedy.

And again LTW youre emotional reaction is incredibly high for someone not involved in this case. Hisoka deserves the punishment he receives, what he did was awful and he will get his just desserts but his addiction shouldn't be ignored, thats why our prison system is shit. Punishment/hate for the sake of punishment/hate doesn't do anything, rehabilitation an improvement is needed for the millions of incarcerated people who will one day be civilians again.

Post Thanks / Like
    someone dies every day (29 per day from drunk driving in US). when can i discuss moral philosophy on a message board that the victim's family is not reading?

you are dishing out moral lashings two at a time. you must sleep well.

Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    Ryan discussing "moral philosophy" when someone did actually die and families are affected is in bad taste as it makes an academic experiment out of people's real lived in tragedy.

And again LTW youre emotional reaction is incredibly high for someone not involved in this case. Hisoka deserves the punishment he receives, what he did was awful and he will get his just desserts but his addiction shouldn't be ignored, thats why our prison system is shit. Punishment/hate for the sake of punishment/hate doesn't do anything, rehabilitation an improvement is needed for the millions of incarcerated people who will one day be civilians again.
    Last edited by ryanwtyler; 12-11-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    And again LTW youre emotional reaction is incredibly high for someone not involved in this case.
    Yes, it (rightly) is. I see (but cannot agree with) your 'in the middle' stance on it. I don't know how to fix the addiction cycle, but to somehow take some of it off the shoulders of the offender is completely wrong, the buck stops with him, he willingly got in the car, therefore he faces whatever punishment he gets, no excuses. Like I said before, imagine if it was someone close to you, how would YOU feel?.... Emotional?.....

what he did was awful and he will get his just desserts
    I sincerely hope so.
    Last edited by LiftTheWorld; 12-11-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no excuse. The minute you get behind the wheel while drunk, you gamble with innocent peoples lives. Which makes you a worthless piece of shit. Addict or not. No better than simply firing a gun into a crowd of people.

6. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    someone dies every day (29 per day from drunk driving in US). when can i discuss moral philosophy on a message board that the victim's family is not reading?

you are dishing out moral lashings two at a time. you must sleep well.
    How about just not doing that as there is nothing to be gained beyond conversation? How about definitely not doing that on a weightlifting forum, how about doubly not doing it with specific people under a microscope? Having a philosophy debate is all well in good(I certainly love a good moral debate) but why have it here, why have it now, and why have it specifically in a thread about people being affected about this outcome in a real way.

The phrase "theres a time and a place" gets thrown around for everything now a days but it definitly applies here.
    Last edited by PVCPipe; 12-11-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LiftTheWorld View Post
    Yes, it (rightly) is. I see (but cannot agree with) your 'in the middle' stance on it. I don't know how to fix the addiction cycle, but to somehow take some of it off the shoulders of the offender is completely wrong, the buck stops with him, he willingly got in the car, therefore he faces whatever punishment he gets, no excuses. Like I said before, imagine if it was someone close to you, how would YOU feel?.... Emotional?.....
    I would certainly be emotional but as it is not someone I know all I can feel is empathy for the family but also empathy for the addict. My empathy for the family supercedes the addict (Hisaka) and so him getting his punishment is what is needed. But as I have empathy for addicts I don't think he's an awful person, as we're judging a drunk off a sober mindset. "He made the decision to" is a hard statement to make about someone inebriated as decision making is completey fucked at that point. All I see is someone who did a terrible thing and who looks like theyre going to be punished for it, I might get uproariously angry if the justice system fails but not while its currently working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry

How about just not doing that as there is nothing to be gained beyond conversation? How about definitely not doing that on a weightlifting forum, how about doubly not doing it with specific people under a microscope? Having a philosophy debate is all well in good(I certainly love a good moral debate) but why have it here, why have it now, and why have it specifically in a thread about people being affected about this outcome in a real way.

The phrase "theres a time and a place" gets thrown around for everything now a days but it definitly applies here.
    Last edited by ryanwtyler; 12-12-2018 at 04:37 AM.

10. Likes PVCPipe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, please sort out your personal issues before logging on and interacting on a public forum about weightlifting. It's not that serious.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you were to look at every time a person who was "unfit" to drive got behind a wheel then I imagine that in the vast majority of cases most of those journeys would end up being completed without incident.

It's still a fucking stupid thing to do and a piece of impaired judgement but most drink drivers would point to the many safe journeys they have already had as justification as to why they feel they can drive.

13. Likes Blairbob liked this post