Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Championships, Ashgabat, TKM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    World's is going to be massive, probably the largest ever attended. The updated preliminary schedule has seven days of 7 sessions plus two days of 5 sessions and one day of 4.

There are 'E' sessions for 96kg and 64kg classes.... technical officials are getting a good workout. The late sessions will start at 10pm local time. I wonder if we'll get any sessions where someone snatches on one day and clean and jerks on another (I've actually been to a comp where that happened)
    curious where is this info from???? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    PM'd you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    curious where is this info from???? thanks
    I have been told that there will be over 700 athletes.

Post Thanks / Like
    In previous years we had up to ~590 lifters with 15 categories, so 700 with 20 isn't outrageous.

Personally, I never liked this many people attending a World Championships. Up to me the entries would be capped at 500, 25 per current categories, only A+B groups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems excessive to have as many sessions as an AO Series (or finals) for a World Championships.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    In previous years we had up to ~590 lifters with 15 categories, so 700 with 20 isn't outrageous.

Personally, I never liked this many people attending a World Championships. Up to me the entries would be capped at 500, 25 per current categories, only A+B groups.
    where do you draw the line though? Seems like it would be difficult to make a QT for a world championship
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    where do you draw the line though? Seems like it would be difficult to make a QT for a world championship
    Other objectively scored sports (e.g. swimming, athletics) have qualifying standards for world championships, don't they? Decide how many athletes you want per weight class (say, aim for 2-3 sessions per category), look at results and determine what standard should get you close to that number, and then say you have to hit the standard at an IWF bronze/silver/gold event in the preceding 6-8 months to qualify.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any breakdown of how many lifters there are in the men's 89kg and women's 71kg classes compared to the mens 96kg and women's 64kg? Could part of the reason for those classes going to the E sessions be that each of them have a nearby classes that isn't contested at the Olympics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    Other objectively scored sports (e.g. swimming, athletics) have qualifying standards for world championships, don't they? Decide how many athletes you want per weight class (say, aim for 2-3 sessions per category), look at results and determine what standard should get you close to that number, and then say you have to hit the standard at an IWF bronze/silver/gold event in the preceding 6-8 months to qualify.
    Yeah, 700+ -- even 500+ -- seems excessive for an international championship where all qualifiers are only doing two events (snatch + C&J). I know that swimming has (or at least had) WC qualifying standards, and I'm pretty sure track does as well. That being said, we should have a look at those athletes in the bottom 20%-25% of the start sheets: are they adequately "above average" to be participating in a WC? I have a feeling that there are some entries that would be pushing to make an A-session at some of the better AO-series comps. . . that's probably a good cut-off point, and one that's easy to justify. Heck, given this new age of ROBI, one could just set a ROBI-point-based cut-off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe there was a qualification total in place for Worlds or Euros in the last few years, which was 70% of the WR for men, and 60% of the WR for women. This may well have been at the discretion of the country sending lifters.