Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Championships, Ashgabat, TKM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    where do you draw the line though? Seems like it would be difficult to make a QT for a world championship
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    Other objectively scored sports (e.g. swimming, athletics) have qualifying standards for world championships, don't they? Decide how many athletes you want per weight class (say, aim for 2-3 sessions per category), look at results and determine what standard should get you close to that number, and then say you have to hit the standard at an IWF bronze/silver/gold event in the preceding 6-8 months to qualify.
    WWCs had minimum entries for quite some time now. They're part of the WC regulations, except for this time (likely because of the new categories). You can find them in the IWF downloads. For e.g. 2017 they were:

56kg 222
    62kg 244
    69kg 266
    77kg 280
    85kg 292
    94kg 304
    105kg 319
    +105kg 345
    48kg 128
    53kg 146
    58kg 158
    63kg 165
    69kg 173
    75kg 181
    90kg 175
    +90kg 220

So they're low and achievable by non-professionals.

The issue again is competitiveness vs. inclusion. If you raise the standards you'll exclude many small/micro nations.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like I've seen people at Worlds in C sessions snatching like 100kg...
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably a participation program. A way to get countries that don't typically send athletes invested into a sport.

Kind of like Eric Moussambani in the 100 freestyle at the 2000 Olympics.
    Last edited by Jason Bourgeois; 10-10-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bourgeois View Post
    . . . way to get countries that don't typically send athletes invested into a sport.

I get that the Olympics are a political, we-are-the-world kind of event and accordingly, inclined to be super-inclusive. However, given that, for the sport of weightlifting, international qualifying events can be regional championships and grand-pre (spelling?) events, is it necessary to make the world championships inclusive to the degree that WC QTs barely exceed the QTs (per Erpel's post) for U.S. nationals? I mean, a 280 QT @ 77kg isn't quite as bad as Eric Moussambani in the 100m freestyle, but it isn't helping the spectacle of sport for this sport: fewer sessions and tighter competition within those sessions is probably going to help the most; aspiring to get into (qualify for) those few sessions will drive improvement in those countries just getting into this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    WWCs had minimum entries for quite some time now. They're part of the WC regulations, except for this time (likely because of the new categories). You can find them in the IWF downloads. For e.g. 2017 they were:

56kg 222
    62kg 244
    69kg 266
    77kg 280
    85kg 292
    94kg 304
    105kg 319
    +105kg 345
    48kg 128
    53kg 146
    58kg 158
    63kg 165
    69kg 173
    75kg 181
    90kg 175
    +90kg 220

So they're low and achievable by non-professionals.

The issue again is competitiveness vs. inclusion. If you raise the standards you'll exclude many small/micro nations.
    Canada has set higher standards to qualify to go; the women need ~ 20% more than above just to qualify to go ; the men maybe 8% more to qualify...and basically almost the whole team are paying the whole shot out of there own pockets ! Oh Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    The issue again is competitiveness vs. inclusion.
    I'd forgotten about those minimum entry totals; I might have overlooked them because of how low they are. I'm all for a smaller, more competitive worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bourgeois View Post
    Probably a participation program. A way to get countries that don't typically send athletes invested into a sport.

While that's in place for the Olympics, I'm not sure it is for Worlds. Not sure who FFF could be referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    Canada has set higher standards to qualify to go; the women need ~ 20% more than above just to qualify to go ; the men maybe 8% more to qualify...and basically almost the whole team are paying the whole shot out of there own pockets ! Oh Canada
    Yeah, I'm in that bubble above the IWF standards but below the Canadian ones. Or I was, anyways. Little bit chubby and untrained right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the class and year, but there have been results like this, e.g.

ALSHAMMARI Khalid Abdulla 31.08.1986 QAT 137.91 B 117 150 267

Post Thanks / Like
    Still does not beat my personal favorite from Qatar:

2005 world weightlifting championships:

DQ
    Salah Mohammed Al-Yazidi (QAT) 62B weight: 58.81 snatch: 70 75 80x — 90 95 97x — —

Post Thanks / Like
    Lifters like him are a good antidote to people who tie numbers to steroids.

Or Angelova AZE in Houston who was 32nd before DSQ.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if results like those are why they have minimums at all now.