Likes Likes:  56
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Championships, Ashgabat, TKM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    . . . saying Moradi will likely lose a comp doesn't mean he will lose every comp against Tao. Its just that Tao has the abilities to strike.
    This exactly. Many folks didn't expect Moradi vs Tian #1 to be even 9kg close, and at least some folks thought that Tian would bomb out just trying to keep within striking distance with his openers. Instead, there was some demonstration that things have improved in the Tao camp. . . at the very least, they've learned what are more reasonable openers for this guy (remember Rio in both the snatch and C&J?!!?). He is also looking much better with the jerk. Though I don't think that the 236 was anywhere near "close", I could believe that 230 is/was doable (even at this comp).

Another thing I never really considered regarding Moradi until I actually saw someone going head-to-head with him in C&J: his clean, not necessarily his jerk, is the limiting lift in his C&J. Looking back now at that 233 in 2017, though the jerk looked pretty stressful, the clean might not have been as easy as it moved (i.e. it took more out of him than the speed standing up may have indicated; look at his head/chin positioning -- and this probably contributed to the wavering jerk). So, yeah, Tian has to get that jerk down, but he definitely does appear to be improving on it and it is pretty hard to argue that those cleans are taking as much out of him as they do out of Moradi. Can he snatch 185 or even 190? We'll see, but I have a feeling that improving overhead for the jerk might help him with overhead in the snatch, and standing up an even semi-stable-overhead 185, 190+ is not going to be a problem for this guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    A lot of the chinese do this and some americans do this as well. Damron and some other Mash guys have been seen doing it. My buddy/coach does this. Heck, a youth lifter at our gym does this with 120. I'm not sure they are purposefully doing it in some cases but they all do it though they get warnings at local meets sometimes.

I've seen some CrossFitters be very blatent about it in training to get that whip going.
    Rhostami does a similar thing where pushes up on the bar a lil right before the jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Moradi is 6 years older than Tao, and one of the reasons he stopped competing was for being banned.
    He was banned for methadone. While I'm not gonna say it isn't possible he has used before, he definitely wasn't banned for an anabolic agent. I guess it could be a PED if you're that much in pain.

4. Likes Rezazadeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    oops

Post Thanks / Like
    He was banned for methadone. While I'm not gonna say it isn't possible he has used before, he definitely wasn't banned for an anabolic agent. I guess it could be a PED if you're that much in pain.
    What was Lasha banned for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezazadeh View Post
    What was Lasha banned for?
    Stanozolol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BCrawford View Post
    Stanozolol
    Anabolic steroids.

Odd how he was banned in 2013 when he was totalling around 410kg, comes back in 2015 and totals 454kg

Post Thanks / Like
    the scoreboard looks like ilyin withdrew. what happened?

Post Thanks / Like
    He just weighed in for this to count towards his qualifiers for Tokyo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the stipend docs, because Damron placed 8th last year at worlds means he can qualify for a gold level stipend. That's $2500/mo.

However, that's going to get dropped to silver level fairly soon which is $1250/mo. Ouch.
    he'll be offering online coaching soon.