Likes Likes:  56
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Championships, Ashgabat, TKM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    After watching that, I'm a little surprised they chose to hold World's there. I wonder if there will be a live stream.
    Why wouldn't it have a live stream? Turkmenistan already hosted the 2017 Asian Champs and it had coverage just like any other similar event.

Post Thanks / Like
    After watching that, I'm a little surprised they chose to hold World's there. I wonder if there will be a live stream.
    Kazakhstan, Thailand or Qatar have abhorrent politics too. We'd rather not go down that road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    Why wouldn't it have a live stream? Turkmenistan already hosted the 2017 Asian Champs and it had coverage just like any other similar event.

Hermit government, weak infrastructure, strict control of media in country...

Post Thanks / Like
    Russia's WWC team:

W49 Sobol

W55 Ershova

W59 Khlestkina and Tyo (R)

W64 Aleeva and Turieva and Kozlova (R)

W71 Romanova and Petrova

W87 Mstieva and Paskhina (R)

W87+ Kashirina

---

M67 Khalibekov

M73 Petrov

M81 Getts and Unanyan (R)

M89 Okulov and Sidakov

M96 Klimonov and Kuptsov

M102 Sheyko

M109 Bochkov and Sabanchiev (R)

M109+ Albegov
    https://rsport.ria.ru/weightlifting/...142873481.html
    https://rsport.ria.ru/weightlifting/...142875182.html

5. Likes Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sheyko still alive? cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hermit government, weak infrastructure, strict control of media in country...
    Yes - it is a hermit government. But they've actually got world class sporting infrastructure which has been funded almost entirely from their gas & oil royalties.

The facilities that will be used for the upcoming World Champs were built for last year's Asian Indoor & Martial Arts Games - an event on which the Turkmenistan Government spent almost $10 billion USD to build and host (though to be fair, that figure includes the cost of building a brand new international airport).

I guarantee that there will be world class media coverage of the event. It's all part of the Government's strategy to make the country look impressive from afar.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to say - 10 billion for a sports venue? If it includes an airport, then sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    I was going to say - 10 billion for a sports venue? If it includes an airport, then sure.
    The construction of the AIMAG village and associated stadiums and facilities cost over $5 billion to build. The new airport 'only' cost $2.3 billion.

If you'd like yet another perspective on the AIMAG facilities then read this ITG blog post.

10. Likes FFF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    Yes - it is a hermit government. But they've actually got world class sporting infrastructure which has been funded almost entirely from their gas & oil royalties.

The facilities that will be used for the upcoming World Champs were built for last year's Asian Indoor & Martial Arts Games - an event on which the Turkmenistan Government spent almost $10 billion USD to build and host (though to be fair, that figure includes the cost of building a brand new international airport).

I guarantee that there will be world class media coverage of the event. It's all part of the Government's strategy to make the country look impressive from afar.
    All good info. I don't think the question was unfair. We've seen events with little/no coverage in more "normal" countries.

Post Thanks / Like
    World's is going to be massive, probably the largest ever attended. The updated preliminary schedule has seven days of 7 sessions plus two days of 5 sessions and one day of 4.

There are 'E' sessions for 96kg and 64kg classes.... technical officials are getting a good workout. The late sessions will start at 10pm local time. I wonder if we'll get any sessions where someone snatches on one day and clean and jerks on another (I've actually been to a comp where that happened)