Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulls/deadlifts only

Post Thanks / Like

Pulls/deadlifts only

Anyone ever spend time only doing pulls or deadlifts as their main exercise? I'm trying to recover from patellar tendonitis so I'm not squatting or doing the lifts (even powers) for a while. However, I can deadlift pain-free, so in an effort to maintain as much strength as possible I've been doing a lot of clean and snatch deadlifts along with presses and other upper-body stuff. Curious what results I could expect if I do this for a month or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, due to a wrist injury I couldn't turn the bar over, no snatch or clean, nothing at all overhead. No front squats. Training consisted of pulls and squats for almost six months. It was not good. However, you have to do what you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its also a good time to throw in extra core work

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting question, though I have no experience relating to the topic. I would like Mike to say more about what it was like after the 6 months of pulls and squats. How bored did you get during the six months and how did you cope? I am curious about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you could do some bodyweight blood flow restriction squats. Or even just some cardio bike with bfr. Anything like that will help you maintain strength and muscle mass in your quads.

Post Thanks / Like
    If snatch pulls don't cause your tendonitis to flare up, then maybe give deficit snatch pulls/deadlifts a try? More work for your legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Echternacht View Post
    Interesting question, though I have no experience relating to the topic. I would like Mike to say more about what it was like after the 6 months of pulls and squats. How bored did you get during the six months and how did you cope? I am curious about it.
    It wasn't fun. I caught my elbow on my thigh doing a clean without the bar shouldered. I didn't think I had broken it, but it hurt so bad and did not improve so I had it x-rayed about a month later. It has always bothered me and I took a cortisone injection about ten years later. Looking at subsequent x-rays, I think a fracture was missed.

Anyway, the worst part was not knowing what the outcome would be, or even when I would know the outcome. It was tough missing some meets and of course not being able to do the lifts. It turned out to be quite a setback. I would say I felt more frustrated than bored.

Post Thanks / Like
    As someone that coaches over 100 clients all on individual programs (not all Weightlifting, a lot of general fitness as well as high school and collegiate athletes), we get people with knee injuries quite a bit. The strategy we almost always use is to replace any exercises and volume that would go to knee dominant exercises to posterior chain work. You really can't have too strong of a posterior chain, so it's pretty effective.

That doesn't mean just replacing all squats with deadlifts or pulls. This could mean glute bridge, hip thrusts, hypers, reverse hypers, KB deadifts, RDLs, hamstring curls on a ball or cable machine, etc...
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Google Cal Poly Deadlift program

I had a shoulder injury and couldn't do anything overhead, and even back squats caused discomfort in my shoulders (mobility). So I just did deadlifts for 8 weeks. Put about 60lbs to my max deadlift. Mmmaybe 5kg to my cleans/snatch. But it helped my squats.

it says you're not supposed to do any other work besides deadlifts. But I managed to get away with doing rehab work and unilateral work (mostly bodyweight) on off days and I included a ton of mobility work as that's my biggest issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    This article written by Sergey Bondarenko for Catalyst may be helpful:

https://www.catalystathletics.com/ar...ou-Need-Pulls/