Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Arnold?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Valego View Post
    do we have to have the qualifying total when we register? i assume the answer is yes. i haven't competed in 2.5yrs but was going to do a local meet to qualify for the arnold or master's nationals. logistically it looks like the arnold is out for me.
    As far as I know, yes, you need to qualify before you register.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea its getting out of hand, membership is crazy $75, $125 for the meet and another $50 for local meet to qualify thats $250 without counting all the other cost of travel lol

ill just lift for fun, or do some unsanctioned meets, best of luck to all competing at this event...

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to say its $19.99 to start and 9.99 after for a total of 69.99. $5 extra for masters.

Buddy/coach just recently signed up for a meet last month.

Membership dues are one pf the primary revenue generators for USAW which funds its various athletes and teams. The other being its sport certification courses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone!

Answering a few questions:
    - Yes, we are opening registrations for the AO 1 (Arnold) and the National Juniors (and the accompanying Pan Am Championships qualifier) on 1 November, 2018.
    - Yes, you will need a qualifying total to register.
    - Yes, we will offer a waiting list and replace "drop outs" until the close of "ordinary" entries.
    - Alternative lifting avaialble in SLC for Masters (National Masters), and at the National Under 25 and Uni in Vegas for 18-25s or of course at AO2.

Regarding Membership fees:
    - These have been frozen for the quad, and were after the 2016 Olympic Games, despite rising costs.
    - You can now go to a meet by just paying the monthly membership ($19,99 for the first month, and $9,99 thereafter), this was in part designed for those just trying the sport.
    - Yes, regretfully the price for national meets has gone up to $125 for adults (though Masters have been there already). This is so that meets now begin to be in the black and contribute funding back to our national team activities. We understand no-one likes price rises but it is time to do so for our events to become sustainable.

Regarding Caps:
    - In general not a road we want to go down, but it does seem the best way for this particular meet given the space constraints but the popularity of being together with the Arnold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know exactly where to look come Nov 1 as far as links or pages for registration? Will the sign up be through the USAW page or through Columbus Weightkifting website? Also will it go live right at midnight or 8am or what? Sorry for all the questions lol I just don't want to miss out since they are capping it this year and it's so close to my home, it's the only national meet I can ever really take advantage of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pufatr01 View Post
    Does anyone know exactly where to look come Nov 1 as far as links or pages for registration? Will the sign up be through the USAW page or through Columbus Weightkifting website? Also will it go live right at midnight or 8am or what? Sorry for all the questions lol I just don't want to miss out since they are capping it this year and it's so close to my home, it's the only national meet I can ever really take advantage of.
    The sign up will be through Webpoint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Phil,

First, thank you for answering questions. What would help is developing some way to determine what day an athlete will lift. For the Las Vegas American Open, had we waited until the schedule was announced, the airline tickets would have cost the three of us $350 more. Had I known when my athlete was going to compete last year two months before the Arnold competition, we would have saved $500 as we stayed an extra day (in weightlifting terms, that's one-half an Eleiko bar). Also, it's difficult to get good flight times for the Arnold if you wait until the schedule is announced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Goss View Post
    Phil,

First, thank you for answering questions. What would help is developing some way to determine what day an athlete will lift. For the Las Vegas American Open, had we waited until the schedule was announced, the airline tickets would have cost the three of us $350 more. Had I known when my athlete was going to compete last year two months before the Arnold competition, we would have saved $500 as we stayed an extra day (in weightlifting terms, that's one-half an Eleiko bar). Also, it's difficult to get good flight times for the Arnold if you wait until the schedule is announced.
    Hi Kim

While that might seem simple, in reality it is not because the entries are often not particularly predictable (we know how many likely will sign up but not the distribution). At the moment with new categories it becomes even more difficult to predict.

We've done this before and when you have to move a category you get a great deal of (entirely understandable) complaints, therefore after nearly 6 years now of running meets it's still best to have an earlier deadline and publish the schedule then.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilAndrews View Post
    Hi Kim

While that might seem simple, in reality it is not because the entries are often not particularly predictable (we know how many likely will sign up but not the distribution). At the moment with new categories it becomes even more difficult to predict.

We've done this before and when you have to move a category you get a great deal of (entirely understandable) complaints, therefore after nearly 6 years now of running meets it's still best to have an earlier deadline and publish the schedule then.

Phil
    Thanks for responding, Phil! One possible solution is to set a strict number of participants for each class, such as 12, and going on a first-come, first-serve basis. If an athlete tries to sign up for the 59-kilo class and it's full, they could try moving up to the 64. If there is a concern that this system will reduce the quality of lifting, you can have an early-bird registration for those with higher totals. For example, let's say the qualifying total for a class is 150 kilos. Six months before the competition, you open up registration for a week only for those with a total of 170 kilos or more; after a week, you open it to the 150-kilo standard. There are a lot of smart people on this forum who probably have better ideas, and it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. The bottom line is that the current approach to announce the schedule a few weeks before a meet presents a financial hardship for many lifters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Goss View Post
    Thanks for responding, Phil! One possible solution is to set a strict number of participants for each class, such as 12, and going on a first-come, first-serve basis. If an athlete tries to sign up for the 59-kilo class and it's full, they could try moving up to the 64. If there is a concern that this system will reduce the quality of lifting, you can have an early-bird registration for those with higher totals. For example, let's say the qualifying total for a class is 150 kilos. Six months before the competition, you open up registration for a week only for those with a total of 170 kilos or more; after a week, you open it to the 150-kilo standard. There are a lot of smart people on this forum who probably have better ideas, and it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. The bottom line is that the current approach to announce the schedule a few weeks before a meet presents a financial hardship for many lifters.
    Sorry, but I am not open to that suggestion. I am normally open to trying any suggestion, but any that limits the ability of the athlete to participate is not on the table for me.

We've looked at this several times, and there is a reason we use one month out because statistically you can still get good fares that far out.

Sorry that we do not agree on this issue.