Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWF Calendar updated - new Olympic qualifying events added

Post Thanks / Like

IWF Calendar updated - new Olympic qualifying events added

The IWF Calendar has finally been updated.

A number of new Olympic qualifying events have been added. Though some events are still missing from the calendar - such as the 2019 Pacific Games (which will also be the Oceania & Commonwealth Champs) and other Continental championship events like the Asian & African championships.

https://www.iwf.net/competitions/calendar/?cy=2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!
    Excitement central!

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to add that it does blow my mind that we are less than four weeks away from the state of the Olympic qualifying period and the IWF still hasn't confirmed all of the qualifying events for 2019.

I'm told for instance that the Arafura Games will be an Olympic qualifying event (April 27-29) but there's no mention of it on the IWF Calendar.

This will be very frustrating for athletes and coaches who are planning their roadmap for Olympic qualifying.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no bronze events yet. I assumed all of the lesser cups would become such but they've all turned to silver. What type of event could be lower?

Post Thanks / Like
    what is the gold/silver/bronze/pink thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    The OG qualification rules build upon each other. To be eligible for Tokyo a lifter must:

- Attend 6 comps in the qualification window from Nov 2018 to April 2020

- The qualification window is divided into 3 periods, a lifter must compete at least once in each period. So the spread must look like 1-4-1 or 2-2-2 but never like 0-6-0 or 0-4-2.

- The events in the IWF calender get divided into gold, silver and bronze events. Pink means not relevant for Tokyo, i.e. Youth events.

- Gold is defined as "IWF World Championships, IWF Junior World Championships, Continental Championships, Junior Continental Championships"

- Silver as "Existing IWF Events: Multi-Sport Games, Championships"

- Bronze as "other International competitions, Championships, Cups, etc."

- To be eligible for Tokyo a lifter has to compete in a gold and silver event or gold and gold. So just doing silver doesn't cut it, neither would gold and bronze.

- The achieved totals in the ranking list, or rather the respective ROBI points, get a multiplier based on the type of event. Bronze: none 1.00, silver: 1.05, gold 1.10. So the incentive is to achieve your highest total at a gold event like the WWC.

My issues so far:

A: Even though it says in the rules "Cups etc." will turn into bronze events all existing cups have been made silver.

B: The classification becomes absurd when the PanAm Games get ranked lower than e.g. the African Junior champs. The quality of lifting, the whole incentive to win them respectively is in no way comparable.

Post Thanks / Like
    different question that you might know the answer to.

What is the process of signing up for competition such as the 'Cup of Blue Swords' in Meissen, GER in August?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, sorry. I'd assume you have to lift for a German club like the other "mercenaries". You could write Gregor ATG, he attended in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post

What is the process of signing up for competition such as the 'Cup of Blue Swords' in Meissen, GER in August?
    It was based on invitiations in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post

International events are a real hodge-podge of conflicting entry proceedures.

But generally speaking, the protocol is that an invitations for a country or individual lifter is addessed to the federation for the corresponding country.

Which - by the way - is a recipe for disaster in poorly administered federations. In my experience the invitations often get overlooked or ignored.