Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IWF Calendar updated - new Olympic qualifying events added

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    New to this forum (well signing up)
    A few questions regarding the Tokyo Gold / Silver / Bronze competition format.

In the first 6 month block it seems the Europe region gets a Gold level event based on the April European champs, does this not put the other continental federations / national federations at a disadvantage if they only have allocations of say silver or bronze.
    As they take a minimum of one event from each 6 month period to add to your Robi score the difference between a gold event and bronze event Robi score is significant.
    Yes athletes get the 2017 Worlds, but say some team members just missed out on worlds selection say in the USA they are at a massive disadvantage with a Robi score of 1.00 or 1.05 relative to an athlete that gets a multiple of 1.10 from worlds or European champs.
    Hope this makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pattersonrichie View Post
    New to this forum (well signing up)
    A few questions regarding the Tokyo Gold / Silver / Bronze competition format.

In the first 6 month block it seems the Europe region gets a Gold level event based on the April European champs, does this not put the other continental federations / national federations at a disadvantage if they only have allocations of say silver or bronze.
    As they take a minimum of one event from each 6 month period to add to your Robi score the difference between a gold event and bronze event Robi score is significant.
    Yes athletes get the 2017 Worlds, but say some team members just missed out on worlds selection say in the USA they are at a massive disadvantage with a Robi score of 1.00 or 1.05 relative to an athlete that gets a multiple of 1.10 from worlds or European champs.
    Hope this makes sense.
    Hi Ritchie. It’s good to have somebody of your calibre on these forums.

All of the continental champs will be gold level events. This includes the Oceania champs (which is what I’m guessing you’re asking?).

The IWF calendar is very poorly maintained. We all know that the Pacific Games next year will also be the combined Oceania/Commonwealth Champs but the IWF calendar doesn’t have it listed yet for unknown reasons.

As an aside, I’m aware that the NZ Federation has only just released its selection documents for the upcoming year. If anyone in your club wants to do the Qatar Cup (which is a silver qualifying event) in late December then they need to know that preliminary entries officially closed two days ago - so preliminary entries need to be rushed in ASAP.

You should also be aware that the Arafura Games will be a silver qualifying event, and the 2020 Oceanias will be moved forward in the year to become a gold qualifying event.

From a points perspective, the ideal qualifying pathway for NZ athletes is:

1. 2018 World Champs (gold)
    2. 2019 Oceania Champs (gold)
    3. 2019 World Champs (gold)
    4. 2020 Oceania Champs (gold)
    5. 2019 Arafura Games (silver)
    6. Any of the remaining cups e.g. Qatar Cup (silver)

This formula will give you a gold event in each scoring period + a fourth gold scoring event.

Having said that, this formula is for a senior athlete. Junior athletes have a few more opportunities to compete.
    Last edited by Cleddau; 10-18-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not entirely sure that the Arafura Games will be Bronze let alone Silver, it has a very low entry total. I think Pacific Cup is more likely to fill that role.

Truth will be in the details though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    I'm not entirely sure that the Arafura Games will be Bronze let alone Silver, it has a very low entry total. I think Pacific Cup is more likely to fill that role.

Truth will be in the details though.
    My understanding is that the AWF will run a qualifying event within an event. Similar to what they did for the 2017 Australian Open (which was kicked up to IWF International status so that Australian Comm Games prospects could use it to advance their official Commonwealth qualifying rankings).

But this is just what I’ve been told informally. The fact that nobody knows for certain really illustrates just how crazy the new qualifying system is (as the Arafura games are less than six months away). It’s very hard to plan your qualifying strategy when you don’t have a list of qualifying events!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post

You should also be aware that the Arafura Games will be a silver qualifying event, and the 2019 Oceanias will be moved forward in the year to become a gold qualifying event.

From a points perspective, the ideal qualifying pathway for NZ athletes is:

1. 2018 World Champs (gold)
    2. 2019 Oceania Champs (gold)
    3. 2019 World Champs (gold)
    4. 2019 Oceania Champs (gold)
    5. 2019 Arafura Games (silver)
    6. Any of the remaining cups e.g. Qatar Cup (silver)

This formula will give you a gold event in each scoring period + a fourth gold scoring event.

Having said that, this formula is for a senior athlete. Junior athletes have a few more opportunities to compete.
    Thanks for a the information,
    When you mention bringing the Oceanias forward, do you mean separating them from the Pacific Games? I feel the AWF could potentially host the Oceania Championships parallel to the Arafura Games to create an additional "Gold event" in the first 6 months.

The issue I see here is we are banking on competitions coming up that are not confirmed on the IWF site, ie. a number of athletes had to weigh up the option of Qatar ($ and a very far way from NZ) vs "hoping" the Arafura is happening to meet the minimum requirement in the first 6 months. Its an exceptionally expensive ordeal for NZ and Oceania athletes at the best of times due to our isolation, but the need to fly half way around the world to meet the "minimum" requirement is a bit off considering there was a note from the IWF to make this system attainable for all member federations.

Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that nobody knows for certain really illustrates just how crazy the new qualifying system is (as the Arafura games are less than six months away). It’s very hard to plan your qualifying strategy when you don’t have a list of qualifying events!!!
    Well, I think if things were a little more organized, a little more planned, and if the affected athletes/coaches were appropriately informed, the qualifying system wouldn't be crazy at all. As it is, being the first individual qualification procedure of this scale and complexity (CG18 was, by comparison, much simpler and on a much smaller scale), there are going to be hiccups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pattersonrichie View Post
    Thanks for a the information,
    When you mention bringing the Oceanias forward, do you mean separating them from the Pacific Games? I feel the AWF could potentially host the Oceania Championships parallel to the Arafura Games to create an additional "Gold event" in the first 6 months.

The issue I see here is we are banking on competitions coming up that are not confirmed on the IWF site, ie. a number of athletes had to weigh up the option of Qatar ($ and a very far way from NZ) vs "hoping" the Arafura is happening to meet the minimum requirement in the first 6 months. Its an exceptionally expensive ordeal for NZ and Oceania athletes at the best of times due to our isolation, but the need to fly half way around the world to meet the "minimum" requirement is a bit off considering there was a note from the IWF to make this system attainable for all member federations.
    Apologies - I wrote my last reply on my phone and made a major typo.

The 2020 Oceanias will be brought forward in the year so that they become a qualifying event. Not the 2019 Oceanias!! I have edited my earlier post so it makes more sense. The logic behind the pathway I presented is that you would ideally want to attend three principal gold events and one fourth gold event to maximise your ROBI scoring.

I believe the gold event multiplier will be crucial to the final scoring (since athletes who don’t attend gold events will find it very, very difficult to make up the deficit against athletes who do attend them).

But I totally agree with you about the difficulty of planning when the list of qualifying events isn’t finalised. The same thing happened with the Commonwealth Games when a stack of qualifying events were not approved until well after the qualifying period started e.g. British Champs, AIMAG, Pacific Cup etc.
    Last edited by Cleddau; 10-18-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    Well, I think if things were a little more organized, a little more planned, and if the affected athletes/coaches were appropriately informed, the qualifying system wouldn't be crazy at all. As it is, being the first individual qualification procedure of this scale and complexity (CG18 was, by comparison, much simpler and on a much smaller scale), there are going to be hiccups.
    This is a fair point. Crazy was the wrong word. It just feels crazy when you’re trying to plan your life for the next eighteen months and you don’t know what the pieces are, let alone how they will fit together.

The qualifying system has a lot to recommend it - the lack of organisation and communication is the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    It just feels crazy when you’re trying to plan your life for the next eighteen months and you don’t know what the pieces are, let alone how they will fit together.
    And depending what country you're in, you don't just need to worry about which international competitions you're going to get in during the qualifying period, you may also have to worry about internal qualification procedures just to be able to represent your country at those competitions.

It's a new thing and a big change and it's going to create a lot of headaches leading into 2020 but I do think it's a step in the right direction.