Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening and closing hip on the snatch & clean

Post Thanks / Like

Opening and closing hip on the snatch & clean

So we all know we are supposed to 'extend' / open the hip, i.e. finish our triple extension, then close the hip, by sending the hips backwards to create that arched back and catch the bar, right?

I can do this fine on the snatch, no problem. I can't on the clean, so when I stand up, I am almost leaning back, and then when I adjust for the jerk or try to jerk, its off balance and I can't put proper power into it. It feels stunted.

I cannot for the life of me do this properly on the clean, so a lot of the reps crash on me and after a certain point it is just exponentially harder than it should be to clean a weight over 80% or so. Other times it isn't as bad but I am still too upright. I do not have short legs so for me I need to angle forward to get in optimal positions for anything, on snatch and clean alike, but it is easier on the snatch as the bar goes behind the head and I guess makes more sense to me.

An example of a hip staying open
    https://cdn.websites.hibu.com/ca9a9c...quat-clean.jpg

Example of hip closing after extension
    https://www.catalystathletics.com/ar...kPositions.jpg

I have started doing tempo front squats as assistance, and obviously I am practising cleans done properly as well.

If anyone has any information or small muscle weakness insight in this matter (thoracic mobility? who knows what?) it would be greatly appreciated. Drills and things like that too.
    Last edited by CNL; 10-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you upload a video of yourself experiencing the issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    How does the width of your feet compare in the snatch catch vs clean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post
    How does the width of your feet compare in the snatch catch vs clean?
    very good question, I don't think I have paid attention to that before with regards to this, I don't think I am immobile enough in that foot spacing to catch it badly, but it could be something to improve. Good input!

Having said that - the power cleans are caught with the same torso position.
    Last edited by CNL; 10-20-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinZybach View Post
    Can you upload a video of yourself experiencing the issue?
    I don't actually have any on me at the moment, I know that's not very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    very good question, I don't think I have paid attention to that before with regards to this, I don't think I am immobile enough in that foot spacing to catch it badly, but it could be something to improve. Good input!

Having said that - the power cleans are caught with the same torso position.
    Just looking at the crossfit guy, a wider stance would put him in a stronger position.

Post Thanks / Like

Feels like the rhythm is off, I'm not sure where. Thoughts? this is 75% of an (ugly) old max. For reference it is 110kg, and I can squat about 200, so yeah, there are a few leaks somewhere I'm trying to plug. The catch seems quite soft.
    Last edited by CNL; 10-20-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea how to turn this into those?

What I'm seeing is my hips are too far forward, maybe some softness in my back, my catch posture is wrong and I can't catch things in a strong position, let alone stand up and have a nice shot at jerking it.

Is it strength/stability in the lower back? Is it thoracic limitations? Is it some kind of stiffness around the hips/adductors to I can't keep strong in the bottom?
    Last edited by CNL; 10-20-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you say you are a quad dominant person? Maybe a bit of an imbalance between back strength and leg strength? Only thing I see in the video is the bar swinging forward off the floor a little. That could mean you lack back strength to stay over the bar and you’re in a hurry to get your torso vertical. Hard to say with one video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinZybach View Post
    Would you say you are a quad dominant person? Maybe a bit of an imbalance between back strength and leg strength? Only thing I see in the video is the bar swinging forward off the floor a little. That could mean you lack back strength to stay over the bar and you’re in a hurry to get your torso vertical. Hard to say with one video.
    I'd say that's a fairly accurate description of a lot of my lifting, so you were right in that from just the one video. I do the little swing on a lot of lifts and I've been told to slow it down off the floor, which, believe it or not, this is a conscious effort to do so. I do think I do lack some isometric back strength to go at a more suitable speed. But then again my back has always been something of a strength, but I guess in a less useful way. For many, many years I built my squat and not my back because I had a reasonable (soft back) deadlift and I think its caught up with me.