Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opening and closing hip on the snatch & clean

Post Thanks / Like
    Your knees are just tracking your feet which are flared out significantly. You could try pulling with your feet forward, and hopefully they would turn out less in the catch.

Honestly it just looks like you need to meet the bar better. Maybe try tensing the abs and lats in the catch rather than just arching.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would never try to mimic Olexsiys position because for a big guy, he actually pulls very unlike many euros more like the chinese with lots of quads and turnout.

His rack position is weird, especially at lighter weights. It doesnt seem normal until he really puts some significant weight on the bar.

Otoh, Ilya just has much better flexibility and positions.

I think you start with the bar too close to your shins. A lil further out so you dont need to pull around the knee and can cover the bar more until it gets past the knee.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're over think and analyzing it. You're feet is spread wider then some and that makes your torso mote vertical... Don't over think it

Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    So we all know we are supposed to 'extend' / open the hip, i.e. finish our triple extension, then close the hip, by sending the hips backwards to create that arched back and catch the bar, right?

I can do this fine on the snatch, no problem. I can't on the clean, so when I stand up, I am almost leaning back, and then when I adjust for the jerk or try to jerk, its off balance and I can't put proper power into it. It feels stunted.

I cannot for the life of me do this properly on the clean, so a lot of the reps crash on me and after a certain point it is just exponentially harder than it should be to clean a weight over 80% or so. Other times it isn't as bad but I am still too upright. I do not have short legs so for me I need to angle forward to get in optimal positions for anything, on snatch and clean alike, but it is easier on the snatch as the bar goes behind the head and I guess makes more sense to me.

An example of a hip staying open
    https://cdn.websites.hibu.com/ca9a9c...quat-clean.jpg

Example of hip closing after extension
    https://www.catalystathletics.com/ar...kPositions.jpg

I have started doing tempo front squats as assistance, and obviously I am practising cleans done properly as well.

If anyone has any information or small muscle weakness insight in this matter (thoracic mobility? who knows what?) it would be greatly appreciated. Drills and things like that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excuse the noob post, but why do you want to change your position? What is wrong with having a more upright torso and hips forward like you do? I've seen lots of lifters (elite) who look similar to you. Do you think being more tilted forward with your torso will lead to better efficiency (squat to clean ratio)? Can you rack weights that you can't stand up with, or do you not pull misses high enough to rack -- that is, how do you typically miss your cleans?

Sorry for so many questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    You’re not getting into enough hip flexion comparatively to those two and other lifters. Relatively speaking you have more knee flexion and not nearly equal enough hip flexion into your squat. I would also look into medial and lateral mobility of the ankle. People often only care about dorsiflexion but at the extreme end range you need quite a bit of tibial rotation and medial deviation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    You’re not getting into enough hip flexion comparatively to those two and other lifters. Relatively speaking you have more knee flexion and not nearly equal enough hip flexion into your squat. I would also look into medial and lateral mobility of the ankle. People often only care about dorsiflexion but at the extreme end range you need quite a bit of tibial rotation and medial deviation.
    So how do I get more hip flexion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Strengthen your psoas is the simplest answer to that. Functional Range Conditioning and PRI would be a good resource to work on end range hip drills. Developing your flexibility with good mornings (be really strict with form rather than weight) has worked for me as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    How would that affect hip flexion, through a stronger psoas?

Flexibility through good mornings is for the hamstrings?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking at the video for a while, and I just don't see it. Your positions are good. You want your hips forward and under the bar with the torso upright. Maybe you could get your feet a little wider, but that is likely limited by your hip anatomy. You look solid. Wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    How would that affect hip flexion, through a stronger psoas?

Flexibility through good mornings is for the hamstrings?
    The psoas will have to concentrically contract while the hamstrings and glutes eccentrically contract during a good morning.