Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat Jerk ~ If you can, should you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    no.
    Agree, there's a reason why every C&J record, save one, is held by a split jerker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    Agree, there's a reason why every C&J record, save one, is held by a split jerker.
    That would just be averages. More people split jerk so more records would be held by split jerkers and the reason there aren't more power/squat jerkers is because both movements aren't taught as much as the split, both movements require greater fliexibility with the squat jerk requiring a lot more, and more reserve leg strength.

There are plenty of examples of successful non-split jerkers at both the senior and junior level. Or lifters who are cross-trained. Illya is one of the best clean and jerkers in the world and has hit 245 with squat jerk, Torokhity was a successful push jerker, David Bedzhayan held the CJ world record for like a whole 2 minutes and is again very good, Tao had the junior world record which he took from Illya, Lu obviously never held the record but was able to have a good enough CJ for a dominant total, Shi Zhi was a very successful younger athlete and we see how dominant he is going to be, Li Dayin is an up and comer who is going to likely set the senior record for the 81kg and already has the junior, CJ Cummings has Junior records and is terrific, Apti was also a force in the 85kg category, and of course the great Dimas and Kakhi.

For women I'm not too sure since I don't follow it closely but Boyonka dominated with a power jerk as well. I'm sure there are other examples of very successful power/squat jerkers on the female side.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't power jerk if you have the ability or strength to do so.

One of our favorite lifters, Pyrros Dimas, power jerked and earned several gold medals, 3 Olympic Gold, with this style of jerk. However, it will always remain that the split style jerk is and most forgiving in almost all circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dimas power jerked after an injury that meant he couldn't split jerk anymore. Which is crazy to think of that he did what he did considering that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Just rotate each around. Whats her split footwork look like? Solid and snappy or good enough to split 70 but a clusterfuck?

I don't know of any SHW that SqJerks besides a 114 Ilya. A few 105s but its rare and almost zero females though Im probably wrong on that.
    Her footwork is better than mine, after two months... pisses me off. haha. Very snappy, and solid, consistent too. Her split is pretty damn good. We went back to it tonight, after 3-4 sessions squat jerk, and it was natural. 3 C&J PR's. Held her form right up to 100%, might have too on the 102% PR attempt, but she didn't make the clean. Keep in mind, she can C&J 70, but she can strict press 77.

One thing is that she DOES have considerable leg reserves, as (right now) she squats little over 2.5X her C&J max. Yeah, she still tires quite a bit now, but the speed gets to her, she's not used to it. I bet after a year or so ov doing just this i bet she'd be far more conditioned to the speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also keep in mind i'm talking specifically about the SQUAT jerk here. I dont know how we got into power jerks. She's actually not great at those... oddly enough for her strength reserves. Her max with PJ is about 64, with the same amount ov work. 71 Split (many sessions), 67 squat (4 sessions), 64 power (3 sessions).

Someone mentioned that no SHW's squat jerk. I'd wager thats due to mobility limitations. This girl seems fine with them. I'm stunned, after 2 years ov heavy bench work and bodybuilding, but there she is. She's pretty much built like Kashirina, just not quite as lean; 5'4" 110kg currently.
    Last edited by Judas; 11-07-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    no.
    +1 no....I'd even say hell no.

China can barely do it.
    Even more rare to see any women doing it.
    And then, it seems to be almost non-existent in the heavier weight classes.

Things will be different when she trying to squat jerk or CG-OHS 100-110 kg.
    Right now, if shes a SHW at ~90 kgs ....she's only playing around with 75%-85% of her body weight currently.
    When she squats more, she's going to need more hips, she have slight forward lean....
    ...will have to have tremendous shoulder flexibility and strength there.
    Balance is going to be way different with an appreciable weight.

8. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    She's pretty much built like Kashirina, just not quite as lean; 5'4" 110kg currently.
    Kasharina lists at 5'10". That's a huge difference of being 110 at 5'4 and 5'10.

10. Likes psstein liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Kasharina lists at 5'10". That's a huge difference of being 110 at 5'4 and 5'10.
    Holy shit, really? I had no idea she was that tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasic View Post
    +1 no....I'd even say hell no.

China can barely do it.
    Even more rare to see any women doing it.
    And then, it seems to be almost non-existent in the heavier weight classes.

Things will be different when she trying to squat jerk or CG-OHS 100-110 kg.
    Right now, if shes a SHW at ~90 kgs ....she's only playing around with 75%-85% of her body weight currently.
    When she squats more, she's going to need more hips, she have slight forward lean....
    ...will have to have tremendous shoulder flexibility and strength there.
    Balance is going to be way different with an appreciable weight.
    Hmmm...