Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Squat Jerk ~ If you can, should you?

Post Thanks / Like
    The push jerk requires more energy and more precision than the split jerk. Now the squat jerk might require not as much power as the power jerk, but the position is still unstable and difficult to recover from. Not to mention that you cannot correct for errors once you are in the squat.
    Hence, I don't see why the squat jerk should be "the future". It would be good, if lifters were more consistent in their jerk attempts. All too often you see an easy clean followed by a poor attempt in the jerk.

Biomechanical experiments show that the “push jerk” requires 13% more force for a successful lift than the split style. The “corridor” of a successful jerk with the “push jerk” style is about 10 – 15 cm from the center of the ankle joints to the center of metatarsal phalangeal joints. The same “corridor” can be significantly greater (up to 30 – 40 cm) with the split style of lifting, which allows some imprecision in the half squat and thrust of the barbell and still permits a successful lift in the split position.
    http://www.sportivnypress.com/2014/p...with-the-jerk/

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful about creating a false dichotomy. You don’t have to choose one or the other - you can teach both and encourage the lifter to pursue proficiency in both.

Having said that, the split jerk is a deceptively hard to execute movement that looks easy. You can teach the fundamentals in a day but it might take years to master.

Post Thanks / Like
    If Quarterbacks started being able to consistently throw 80 yard passes on the button then we'd see those plays called more often, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Biomechanical experiments show that the “push jerk” requires 13% more force for a successful lift than the split style.
    Sounds about right. And old article by Jim Schmitz talked about PJ 90% of Split.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Hmmm...
    Ok, try it.

Sorry, just seems the best in the world (China) who train 19x a week and the majority of their
    population has the body-morphology to go along with that movement can barely do it.
    ...split jerk is their go to jerk.

I'm sure you've seen this.
    How "good" or strong do you think these females are.

Curious, wonder if that's the same Li Yajun? (if so, she's super young and/or don't recognize her)
    ...she splits now.

Always thought that one Romanian dude (who got popped recently) squat jerk wasn't so hot....seemed to always chase forward/jump forward quite a bit...

Name six good squat jerkers in all of the history of weightlifting besides Lu and Shi....off the top of your head.
    (...yeah sure, I bet erpel can.)

Its been going on for about 18 years now (2000 was first IIRC).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Dimas power jerked after an injury that meant he couldn't split jerk anymore. Which is crazy to think of that he did what he did considering that.
    I wonder what exactly that injury was? (type,body part)
    Real heavy power jerks like Dimas and Kakhi. did seem like nightmares on your shoulders and lower backs.

Funny to how Illya has been playing around with them, because "of an injury".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasic View Post
    I wonder what exactly that injury was? (type,body part)
    Real heavy power jerks like Dimas and Kakhi. did seem like nightmares on your shoulders and lower backs.

Funny to how Illya has been playing around with them, because "of an injury".
    Illya's been able to do them since he was young he mentioned it in his interview with Hookgrip. He did a comp or 2 when he was younger using squat jerks when he had an injury. Which is your injury is aggravated by a split position due to an uneven load that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Name six good squat jerkers in all of the history of weightlifting besides Lu and Shi....off the top of your head.
    Zhan Xugang
    Zhang Guozheng
    Shi Zhiyong the elder
    Aukhadov (I guess I'd call his a "power squat")
    Ilyin's 245 squat jerk that one time
    Farris (not touching the "kings of wl" debate)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Holy shit, really? I had no idea she was that tall.
    My friend took a selfie standing beside Tatiana in Ashgabat.

My friend is 5 foot 6. She looks exactly the same height as Tatiana in the selfie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, try it.
    We are. We're playing around with it, but i'd be more enthusiastic if she wasn't such a natural at the split. I mean, she took to the squat VERY quickly, and hit nice maxes the first night, but these are still low weights for her strength, and well, she just has such a nice split. Nice thing too though, after playing with squats for a week and a bit, coming back to the split was nice and strong.