Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Not Excessive?

Post Thanks / Like

Is This Not Excessive?

If you don't want to click, this person is claiming (while using Chinese Weightlifting as a selling point) that they do backextensions for 8x10-20 w/ holds on the last rep. I can only really think of calves every recieving so much volume, maybe back extensions if they're unweighted but I've frankly never seen a professional weightlifter do unweighted back extensions outside of warming up for some weight. It sounds like something that would get in the way of any lift you would complete the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    These were common in the '70s, but at the end of the training session.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wittmer View Post
    These were common in the '70s, but at the end of the training session.
    Yep, my old coach use to have us to these at the end of the session. Usually 10-15 reps with a hold at the end of the set.

Post Thanks / Like
    For 8 sets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    For 8 sets?
    Holy crap, didn't even read that right. No, we only did 2-3 sets at most!!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a lot of propaganda about the amount of stuff they do. Also there are people who have just done loads of voluem on loads of (sometimes pointless) exercises from age 12-13, their bodies adapted and can recover from it, and still do it now they are in their 20s. An adult jumping into a 'chinese weighltifting' programme with hours of bodybuilding daily is gonna find it rough.

I have seen the core training being claimed as being 4 times a week, 4 exercises, 5 sets of 10-20 each, different movements most of the time. That's literally hours of just core a week. Add in their claims of the same kind of volumes for squats/squat related things/quads/hams/calves which probably take twice as long, add in the same for arms, shoulders and upper back, and you have over 10 hours of training a week without even getting near to snatch, clean &jerk and anything actually related.

If you had nothing else to do in your life, and this stuff was the only time you got out of the house, I can see it happening, but gosh, a gazillion sets of everything sounds just crazy.

7. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    some people like them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    Holy crap, didn't even read that right. No, we only did 2-3 sets at most!!
    Yeah thats what I was getting at I do around 3 sets normally up to 4-5 if I have an off day the next day but 8 sets of 20 was ridiculous. But like CNL said a lot of this seems to be pointless propaganda.

Post Thanks / Like
    i do back extensions every single day as part of my warm up. always 3 or 4 sets. always 10 reps. i cycle through just bodyweight, barbell, barbell with weight. i change it up on a monthly basis. it doesn't effect my lifts or any other part of my training. it only helps. start with bodyweight 3x10 and work up from there. you'll adapt. you'll get stronger, something we all need.

11. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you survive all that you’re gonna be seriously strong and robust