Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This Not Excessive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Valego View Post
    i do back extensions every single day as part of my warm up. always 3 or 4 sets. always 10 reps. i cycle through just bodyweight, barbell, barbell with weight. i change it up on a monthly basis. it doesn't effect my lifts or any other part of my training. it only helps. start with bodyweight 3x10 and work up from there. you'll adapt. you'll get stronger, something we all need.
    8 sets of 20.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to program 5x(20 + 5s static hold), working up from 5x10. I got a bit of head rush from them, but it felt more therapeutic than strenuous. I also didn't try for more because my desire to go home overrode my desire to strengthen my back. I don't do them at the present moment because my gym replaced the Roman chair with a conventional back extension, which I really dislike. So to me, doing 8x20 doesn't seem like that big of a jump if you have the time to spare. I'd estimate a 30 minute commitment if you superset with some basic ab work at the end, which can be a little or a lot of time depending on the person.

The way you do them also matters, and can affect the difficulty of your sets -- you can use momentum to assist (like a pendulum), emphasize glutes/hamstrings more or less, etc

Also, for what it's worth, I also don't think it's useful to compare training volume of (semi-)professional athletes to hobbyists. See Kirksman's "sample routine" and Kennedy's "sample microcycle."

3. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paramnesia View Post
    I used to program 5x(20 + 5s static hold), working up from 5x10. I got a bit of head rush from them, but it felt more therapeutic than strenuous. I also didn't try for more because my desire to go home overrode my desire to strengthen my back. I don't do them at the present moment because my gym replaced the Roman chair with a conventional back extension, which I really dislike. So to me, doing 8x20 doesn't seem like that big of a jump if you have the time to spare. I'd estimate a 30 minute commitment if you superset with some basic ab work at the end, which can be a little or a lot of time depending on the person.

The way you do them also matters, and can affect the difficulty of your sets -- you can use momentum to assist (like a pendulum), emphasize glutes/hamstrings more or less, etc
    [/URL]
    A roman chair back extension(assume you're talking 45 degree) vs a 90 degree back extension is like night in day IMO, sets on a Roman Chair are much easier. 80-160 reps of weighted back extensions with pauses even for a professional athlete should be damaging. Especially since this isn't alone. They have to do cleans, snatches, pulls, squats, movements accessories, press work, and other accessory work. Athlete or not, 8x20 like CNL said seems like propaganda and not an actual standard thats kept to on training days. A big thing is just the time management aspect, why would an athlete spend their time doing 8 sets of back extensions after having to be in the gym for so long, they need to eat, sleep, recover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paramnesia View Post

Also, for what it's worth, I also don't think it's useful to compare training volume of (semi-)professional athletes to hobbyists. See Kirksman's "sample routine" and Kennedy's "sample microcycle."
    The Kennedy one is different because it is double day sessions and all major lifts, which sure, are supposed to be done at solid volume and should be the main focus. The volume is too high there, in reality, and remember he got injured in that period of time and was out of the game for almost a year.

The kirksman one has a couple of normal looking days, and a couple of days where its just mental diarrhea, like someone who has been told to make a crazy 6x a week programme, and thought 'ooo what would be cool if we did here? yeah, another CJ 1RM!!! What else? Everyone loves Bsq 1Rm, lets do some more of that! Everyone knows volume is king, lets chuck another 8 sets of 5 on squat on this day just because' and then the result is a confused mess of bullshit made by someone who has never followed that kind of plan or could possibly. For example you go to 90% or higher on snatch and CJ 4 times in that 'average week', you do up to 50 working sets of squats or related movements, etc. Excessive is the word.
    Last edited by CNL; 11-11-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was gonna no at first but a workout I did on June 21st included:

"Back extx10BW. Single Leg Back ext R/Lx10: BW 5 10 12.5 15. Back Extx10: #25 35 45" That's 90 reps.

This is from the 25th of Jan

"GHRx10 : bw,#2.5, 5, 7.5, 10. Back extx10: bw, #25, 50, 75, 90. Single leg back ext L/R: #5, 10, 15, 20" Looks like I had a lot of time to do lower back work. That's 140reps

I probably could do this more often in the week IF I wanted to spend 30minutes on core work after the meat and potatoes of every session. That being said, I don't and generally do GHD/Back ext once a week and weighted GHD situps another with 5 sets 5-10 of RDL's off a deficit once a week in there.

Situps, sometimes cramp my abs for some reason and I have probably noted this in my workout logs for a few years. I don't know if it's because my abs are just hammered by the time I get to them, some weird muscular imbalance, or my body just running out of gas. So I tend to be wary of doing ab flexion in my training because those cramps will have me on the floor fetal. It's kinda hairy if I'm doing them on a GHD and suddenly feel them happen. So at the end of the day, it's just not worth it to me. Or maybe my abs don't have the endurance my back does.
    Last edited by Blairbob; 11-11-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to say in gymnastics, assigning or doing 4-5 sets of superman leg lifts/hypers for 10-20 reps isn't uncommon. Sometimes that's also with 4-5 sets of hanging leg lifts, v-ups, and GHRaises off a PBlock with a partner. Most of this tends to be unweighted though or with very light weights at best because of a lack of equipment.

With Roger, we would sometimes do tabata V-ups with the goal of doing 120-160 V-ups in those 8 rounds which is 160s of work. And it completely blasted my abs.

Post Thanks / Like
    These things are in context. If its 30 mins of abs, 4 times a week, for a person training 5 hours a day, 6 days a week, its different. For the average Joe lifter, it is excessive.
    Same with empirical gymnastics data!