Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Tokyo Qualification is now up.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tokyo Qualification is now up.

    This is going to be a very interesting link to follow over the next 18 months.

    https://www.iwf.net/qualif/menu/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been thinking about the new qualifying system and have realised that there is an interesting wrinkle which I hadn’t considered: Some of the athletes at Ashgabat have received a significant “one off” bonus of Robi points because of the new world record standards.

    As an example, in the W87+ class a total of 267 would have placed a lifter in the top eight. But now that the WR total has moved to 330, an athlete who didn’t compete in Ashgabat will need to do 276 at a gold event or 280 at a silver event to earn the same number of points.

    So one of the hidden variables in the new system is timing! Athletes who delay their qualifying to the end of the period due to injury or other reasons will need to lift significantly more weight to match the points earned at earlier events. And if the WR total continues to increase then they’re further disadvantaged.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    I’ve been thinking about the new qualifying system and have realised that there is an interesting wrinkle which I hadn’t considered: Some of the athletes at Ashgabat have received a significant “one off” bonus of Robi points because of the new world record standards.

    As an example, in the W87+ class a total of 267 would have placed a lifter in the top eight. But now that the WR total has moved to 330, an athlete who didn’t compete in Ashgabat will need to do 276 at a gold event or 280 at a silver event to earn the same number of points.

    So one of the hidden variables in the new system is timing! Athletes who delay their qualifying to the end of the period due to injury or other reasons will need to lift significantly more weight to match the points earned at earlier events. And if the WR total continues to increase then they’re further disadvantaged.
    I remember reading somewhere that the ROBI points were going to be calculated based on those world record standards for the duration of the qualification period, which would be why you see the guys who hit world record totals are on the ranking list with 1000+ points.

  4. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that the ROBI points were going to be calculated based on those world record standards for the duration of the qualification period, which would be why you see the guys who hit world record totals are on the ranking list with 1000+ points.
    That’s what I initially thought when I looked at the qualifying documents earlier in the year.

    But I’ve since been told that they will be calculated using the actual world records that are standing at the start of each event.

    It doesn’t affect all athletes or all classes, but it will be a further hurdle for some of the athletes who didn’t compete in Ashgabat.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many points do they need to qualify?

  7. #6
    AKA Tony Arkitect FFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4,112
    Post Thanks / Like
    In general the system is way too complicated and convoluted.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

    Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

    Friend me on Facebook


    Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    How many points do they need to qualify?
    There is no fixed number. It's the top 8 at the end of the qualification period. Since we only had one event so far the top 8 now are the same as the WWC rankings.

    In practice it will get harder and harder to reach top 8 because the point baseline will rise.

    I like this system but for the ROBI points. Just rank them by total and don't use a multiplier. I think the latter is wildly unfair since you have to lift much more at bronze to get the same points at gold.

    Or am I misrepresenting the ROBI multiplier? Right now the points haven't been calculated by x1.1 though worlds was a gold event.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post

    Or am I misrepresenting the ROBI multiplier? Right now the points haven't been calculated by x1.1 though worlds was a gold event.
    I think the points at https://www.iwf.net/qualif/menu/ do have the 1.1x multiplier applied. Using my own handy-dandy, MS Excel based ROBI points calculator (with the "world standards" used as the basis for this comp), and then multiplying by 1.1, I get numbers identical to those on the site when entering any athlete's Ashgabat total. Of course, for the next international qualifying event, one will have to enter all the new records (where the original world standard had been exceeded in Ashgabat) to calc ROBI from that meet.
    Last edited by mb_here; 11-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure where I checked the points previously, but yes you're correct. They've got x1.1 applied.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    But I’ve since been told that they will be calculated using the actual world records that are standing at the start of each event.
    If you check the ROBI calculator link:

    https://www.iwf.net/weightlifting_/r...nclair-new-bw/

    The first for Tokyo still uses the standards while the second for everyday use is already updated with the records set at worlds.

    This leads me to believe the reference point is fixed, i.e. still the world standards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •