Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Will a single layer of horse stall mat and plywood be sufficient for a platform?

Post Thanks / Like

Will a single layer of horse stall mat and plywood be sufficient for a platform?

Hi All,
    Will a single layer of horse stall mat and plywood be sufficient for a platform?
    We have a small weight lifting club at work (NIH).
    At present our club has 4 conventional platforms that are 3 layers thick (2 sheets of plywood and 1 layer of horse stall mat).
    Now in the process of moving to a better location our platforms will be built for us and I have some concern that the proposed platforms and flooring will be hard on our better bumper plates.
    Below describes the planned construction method. It is assumed the matting will be a single layer of ¾” horse stall matting. The sub floor is concrete.
    The designers plan is to have the plywood be seamless and flat into the floor that is completely covered by horse stall mat. This is much like some CF gyms Ive seen.
    Any thoughts or ideas would be most helpful.
    Mike

Designers question:
    Due to budget constraint, is it possible to build the plywood platform with only one layer of ¾” thick plywood ?
    These plywood platforms are the 4’x8’ area next to the Rogue wall rigs. The reason is that if we raise the platform thickness by another ¾” thick, we have to raise the adjacent floor area throughout the gym by ¾” tall. This is very costly as we have to use a lot of levelling compound to accomplish a flat levelled floor throughout the whole space.

Post Thanks / Like
    The additional layers are more to protect the floor underneath, rather than the plates. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought some mid-grade bumpers years ago, and we trained in this gym that had 10x10 wood beam floor construction (a little give), and i used 2 layers ov 1/2" rubber. Those bumpers held up just fine, though it was rather loud. That gym moved to a new building, concrete floors, and he laid down a 1/2" rubber floor, thats it. My bumpers were all cracking within months (not to mention my knees started to hurt). I'd get more, unless you've got those cheapass black foam style bumpers. Concrete and a single layer will trash your shit, quickly. We have the same basic flooring in the rec center i train in now, and i wont drop my bumpers there (i have nicer more expensive ones now), but we have a pair ov 2x4ft 2" thick platform pads to drop on. I think 2 layers ov that 3/4" rubber mat should do it. I'm building a platform for my house, and thats exactly what i'm gonna use: a 1" layer ov plywood, and two 3/4" layers ov horse stall mat.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have exactly this in my basement. was used everyday for 2yrs+. no issues with the cement floor underneath. i put a layer of plywood down, then the mats with a center plywood piece in the middle. used eleiko sport plates too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think how your floor was constructed, age of floor, your climate etc play more a factor than what type of plates you use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks All
    It is the club owned equipment of concern and not the floors. It appears most have little or no issues with a single layer and I will give my blessing to move forward.
    Judas, if you are right and our bumpers die and my knees go south... I'll post a "You told me so"
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    My facility runs 7 platforms. 3/4" plywood and 3/4" stall mats on the sides. Been set up like that for 4 years. No issues.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!