Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Choosing the right shoes

Post Thanks / Like

Choosing the right shoes

I'm new to the forum, but decided to join up, because the information i searched for didn't give any clear answer.

I've decided to invest in some proper weightlifting shoes, but cannot decide what kinds of shoes I would benefit from. I've lifted for some time, but never really used "proper" shoes.
    I'm looking for stability in regards to compound exercises, and i've started to incorporate power cleans in my workout. I would still like to have the possibility of some flexibility in my shoes for box jumps and jumping split squats.

I'm afraid shoes like nike metcon and reebok pr would be too "stiff" of a shoe for this. I've thought about buying some crossfit shoes, but have a hard time choosing.

To be clear, I'm looking for stability, with the option of flexibility, with ankle support.
    Any tips for me?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I'm new to the forum, but decided to join up, because the information i searched for didn't give any clear answer.

I've decided to invest in some proper weightlifting shoes, but cannot decide what kinds of shoes I would benefit from. I've lifted for some time, but never really used "proper" shoes.
    I'm looking for stability in regards to compound exercises, and i've started to incorporate power cleans in my workout. I would still like to have the possibility of some flexibility in my shoes for box jumps and jumping split squats.

I'm afraid shoes like nike metcon and reebok pr would be too "stiff" of a shoe for this. I've thought about buying some crossfit shoes, but have a hard time choosing.

To be clear, I'm looking for stability, with the option of flexibility, with ankle support.
    Any tips for me?

Thanks
    Hey Magnus, sorry you haven't received a response on this yet, as our Powerlifting subforum is a bit on the slower side.

In reality any serious athlete should have a few different pairs of quality shoes at their disposal. Personally, I wouldn't want to do any Weightlifting variation (cleans, snatches, jerks, etc..) in anything but a true Weightlifting shoe. Nike and Adidas are the front runner in that space, although I've heard good things about the new Velassa shoes.

There are some mid-level to elite Weightlifters that actually do lift in Metcons. I know a lot of my general fitness clients wear them, and they seem to be a good "all arounder." Personally I have three pairs of shoes: Nike Romaleo 2s for any strength training, Nike Free's for athletic training (rowing, plyometrics, agility work) and a pair of running shoes.

Hope this helps.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I consider myself a crosstrainer. My gym time is spent rowing, doing power variations of the Olympic lifts, KB work, DL, OHP and front squats. I use a pair of Reebok Nano 5's or Nike Train Speed shoes as I move from one type of movement to the other. I like the hard sole and the slight rise in these shoes, though for front squats the rise is not as high as I would like. When I focus on just O lift variations and front squats in my home gym I have a cheap pair of Inov8 fastlifts that work decently enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The crossfit-type shoes are stable, but have a lower heel than typical weightlifting shoes. So you will need to be pretty flexible to get into a deep squat position with those. If weightlifting is a secondary concern, then you will be fine for now.