Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretching preworkout and daily

Post Thanks / Like

Stretching preworkout and daily

I am new to Olympic Weightlifting. I transitioned from CrossFit less than a month ago. I am looking for some help on specific stretch/mobility routines before working out and then stretches in the evening I can do at my leisure daily. I have mobility issues with my shoulders which I’ve been working on improving over the last half year and can now do overhead movements (still light weights) whereas I couldn’t at all six months ago. Any links, videos or list of routines would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are plenty of stretches and programs should probably be tailored to the individual's specific needs. Google and youtube will help you out. A knowledgeable PT could also evaluate you personally and help as well.

Regarding workouts, I would stretch after the workout, not before. Use an empty bar to warm-up and warm-up doing the movements you will do that day.

3. Likes Bulldog73, dwp1975 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As an old man dancer I spend a lot of time stretching. I do it because it makes me feel good and relaxed as well as warm and more flexible. Before a dance class (think training session) I have a 45 minute stretching routine, which is also my warm-up. I've been doing this routine for as long as I can remember, and obviously feel good about it.

Having said that I do no stretches before I warm up for a weightlifting session. At the very end of training I religiously spend 10 minutes stretching. I also have a 5 minute stretching routine I do off and on at home. Ninety five percent of the stretches I do are general stretches you can find in any yoga book.

I do do some some very specific weightlifting stretches. Those are:

Flexing and extending the wrist
    Holding the bar in the rack position, lifting the elbows as high as possible
    Downward facing dog with hand on a workbench and emphasizing the upper body stretch
    Press behind the neck while in a deep squat
    Sitting in a low squat position for at least 2 minutes
    Sitting on your heels for an extended time period.
    Clasping your hands behind the back and keeping the torso straight, lift the hands forcing the upper body down as far as possible, then reversing the movement.

I don't think it really matters what stretches one does. The important thing is to do them often and regularly. Also when you do them, don't try to look flexible. Think lengthening and feel the muscles you are stretching. Also be inventive. Geez, I have a complete stretching routine I occasionally do that only involves the steps upstairs in my house.

Remember the 3 P's--patience, practice, and persistence.

5. Likes dwp1975 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike...I’m super new to all of this. Currently been doing my normal stretches that took about 40 minutes. With the training taking twice as long as CrossFit was curious if their is a more effective method. Your recommendation makes sense. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, the stretches you listed above. Are those for before you start lifting? You sound like me, I stretch for about 40 minutes before working out.

Post Thanks / Like
    If my first exercise in training involves racking the weight I do I will do a quick wrist extension and flexing. Otherwise I may or may not do that stretch at the end of training. I do the downward dog several times in my warm up immediately followed by a squat and then another squat where I sit in the squat for a while. I do that because it warms up my knee joints, which is a major activity for an old fart like myself. If I was a young man, I wouldn't do this stretch at all. As for the specific weightlifting stretches, I do them irregularly at the end of training.

I should also say that I rarely do static stretching. Essentially, I do a highly modified Ashtanga or power yoga approach, a style that will put heat in the body.

9. Likes Blairbob, dwp1975 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a weightlifter, I think doing a 40 minute stretching session is a little over kill. Don't get me wrong, I think for weightlifting stretching is good for recovery, but for a warm up I prefer something that will make you sweat.

11. Likes dwp1975 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i stretch 20-40min every night at home, post training. i've been doing this religiously for almost a year, every day. i always had tight hips and it's been amazing, i now have no hip pain or tightness when squatting.

ps i'm 39yr old male and train 4x a week plus 1-2 days of competitive soccer.

13. Likes dwp1975 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing that i stretch prior to training is my shoulders. i use bands for that and spend much more time warming up with air squats, twirling my elbows and wrists around etc before starting bar warmups. The whole thing takes about 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, like the others, is when i do my regular stretches and...its really what you'd normally think of. Sitting with my legs open, touching my toes, basically all the common things you probably already do. I just start at the top (shoulders) and work downwards to include my calves/feet/toes.

More importantly, whats worked for my mobility is doing unilateral movements with bodyweight on my non-training days. box step ups, lunges, sots presses with just the bar, rear delt flys with light DB's (like 5lbs), slow and exaggerated dips/pullups/pushups concentrating on the bottom positions and the hang to feel the stretch. I'm also 39 so...if you're younger, it may not be such a big deal for you. Yet.

If all you want is ideas, its easy enough to find a yoga video on youtube and do the relevant stuff to you. for me that means hips and shoulders.
    Last edited by rawfeels; 12-03-2018 at 11:52 AM.

15. Likes dwp1975 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the stuff I do. This was filmed some years back but it's adapted from gymnastics band work but with plates since every gym is going to have plates and often at meets, I won't have anywhere to setup bands. And bands pop.

The sequencing is a bit different. And sometimes I use #2.5 plates. I also do some plate curl and press with 5 or 10lb plates to warmup the shoulders after the swings which is merely similar to when I used to warmup swings to HS on ParallelBars. When using kg, I usually use yellows, reds, and whites. None of it should be heavy enough to feel grindy and it'll be anywhere from 5-30 reps depending how tight my shoulders feel but generally 5-10 for most and 15-20 swings to start.

Some of it is probably a bit similar to crossover symmetry though I'm pretty sure the old gymnastic bodies shoulder band series was adapted from CS from a gymnast/coach from Iowa where he learned it from a pitcher.

Instead of downard dog, i do bear walks and crab walks sometimes as well though I really hate them.

Pretty much everything else I do with a bar.

I've been meaning to work on my splits and bridges on offdays but tbh, haven't since I got back home at the end of October.