Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stretching preworkout and daily

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Echternacht View Post
    If my first exercise in training involves racking the weight I do I will do a quick wrist extension and flexing. Otherwise I may or may not do that stretch at the end of training. I do the downward dog several times in my warm up immediately followed by a squat and then another squat where I sit in the squat for a while. I do that because it warms up my knee joints, which is a major activity for an old fart like myself. If I was a young man, I wouldn't do this stretch at all. As for the specific weightlifting stretches, I do them irregularly at the end of training.

I should also say that I rarely do static stretching. Essentially, I do a highly modified Ashtanga or power yoga approach, a style that will put heat in the body.
    Thanks again Gary, this is helpful....kinda along the lines I was thinking already. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Valego View Post
    i stretch 20-40min every night at home, post training. i've been doing this religiously for almost a year, every day. i always had tight hips and it's been amazing, i now have no hip pain or tightness when squatting.

ps i'm 39yr old male and train 4x a week plus 1-2 days of competitive soccer.
    I stretch every night for roughly 20 minutes while dinner cooks. I used to do ROMWOD daily when I was heavily doing CrossFit. I see they have a routine for Olympic Weightlifting but am curious if it’s recommended by those who lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rawfeels View Post
    the only thing that i stretch prior to training is my shoulders. i use bands for that and spend much more time warming up with air squats, twirling my elbows and wrists around etc before starting bar warmups. The whole thing takes about 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, like the others, is when i do my regular stretches and...its really what you'd normally think of. Sitting with my legs open, touching my toes, basically all the common things you probably already do. I just start at the top (shoulders) and work downwards to include my calves/feet/toes.

More importantly, whats worked for my mobility is doing unilateral movements with bodyweight on my non-training days. box step ups, lunges, sots presses with just the bar, rear delt flys with light DB's (like 5lbs), slow and exaggerated dips/pullups/pushups concentrating on the bottom positions and the hang to feel the stretch. I'm also 39 so...if you're younger, it may not be such a big deal for you. Yet.

If all you want is ideas, its easy enough to find a yoga video on youtube and do the relevant stuff to you. for me that means hips and shoulders.
    I...WISH...I’m actually 43. Will give squats and empty bar warmups a shot tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post

Some of the stuff I do. This was filmed some years back but it's adapted from gymnastics band work but with plates since every gym is going to have plates and often at meets, I won't have anywhere to setup bands. And bands pop.

The sequencing is a bit different. And sometimes I use #2.5 plates. I also do some plate curl and press with 5 or 10lb plates to warmup the shoulders after the swings which is merely similar to when I used to warmup swings to HS on ParallelBars. When using kg, I usually use yellows, reds, and whites. None of it should be heavy enough to feel grindy and it'll be anywhere from 5-30 reps depending how tight my shoulders feel but generally 5-10 for most and 15-20 swings to start.

Some of it is probably a bit similar to crossover symmetry though I'm pretty sure the old gymnastic bodies shoulder band series was adapted from CS from a gymnast/coach from Iowa where he learned it from a pitcher.

Instead of downard dog, i do bear walks and crab walks sometimes as well though I really hate them.

Pretty much everything else I do with a bar.

I've been meaning to work on my splits and bridges on offdays but tbh, haven't since I got back home at the end of October.
    Wow, this is awesome...luckily the feeder plates are in the back of the gym where I warmup ad workout so this fits in perfectly. Much appreciated man, I fell in love with Olympic Weightlifting when researching and trying to 8mprove these movements for CrossFit but ended up transitioning completely to WL.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ If you've ever seen Ido Portals shoulder band series on youtube, this stuff will look a bit similar but with plates. I skip the int/ext rotation stuff/cuban musclesnatch/press but I think I used to do them with a plate or DB. I think I cut them out since I started doing muscle snatches with a bar to warmup some years back instead.

One of the reasons I started also doing them with plates is so I didn't have to do them with DB beforehand in another area of the gym. More time efficient. I generally hold a #10 and 5# or red and white kg plate at the same time for the swings. That way I could also stake out a platform once I got on the gym floor.

I also do some inlocates/dislocates with my wrist wraps (boxing wraps) before the bar. I use the wraps so I don't have to go hunt down a jump rope and there really aren't pvc sticks at the gym. A belt also works or theraband.

I like to hang from a bar and swing around to loosen up my shoulders and back at some time before I start to warmup the bar. Don't always get to at meets but I also do a bit on my pullup bar at home without much swinging. Sometimes just tuck or pike leg lifts to flex and extend the lower back.

6. Likes dwp1975 liked this post