Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: massage or cardio (for recovery) one week out?

Post Thanks / Like

massage or cardio (for recovery) one week out?

Hi all,
    I typically do some kind of myofasical release (foam rolling, self massage, etc.) and light cardio (20 minutes on low level, elliptical) on my off days to help with recovery. I am planning a training competition next week (Monday). Is it okay to continue with those routines this week, or should I not? My volume/intensity is pretty light this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would discontinue the cardio.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your sleep is good, it probably wont matter either way as you are likely quite well adapted to the 'cardio' you are doing. Its important to note though what it is actually doing for you.

Aerobic capacity work is usually bouts of 20-25min locomotive work with a heart rate of 120-130. Most people do it slightly too intensely I find. It serves to build left ventricle strength and as an autonomic nervous system stimulus that is quite helpful in settling a person after training.

If you like doing the 'cardio', it probably wont make a difference if you do it or not at this stage. I usually prefer people go out and do something fun, change their environment maybe, go for a walk somewhere different, see a movie, play some video games etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've long been a fan of the elliptical for light cardio days but my buddy did mention it fatigues the hip flexors compared to walking or swimming.

You're probably ok, even with the 20minutes of elliptical work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet you would have an even better effect going for walk instead of the elliptical. Cardio for recovery should be roughly under 115 bpm. Going for a walk, preferably in nature, will help you to recover very well.

6. Likes Bulldog73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments. The walk instead of elliptical sounds interesting. How long do you typically walk for, if you are doing to help recover between training sessions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    Thanks for the comments. The walk instead of elliptical sounds interesting. How long do you typically walk for, if you are doing to help recover between training sessions?
    I usually like 20-30 min. The goal is not to break a sweat, but walk and relax.

9. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post