Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Creatine cycling

Post Thanks / Like

Creatine cycling

Is there any benefit(s) or drawback(s) to stopping creatine usage for around two weeks? I've been taking creapure daily since August and I just started wondering if you should take some time off from it. I'm traveling for the next two weeks and figured that if you should then this would be the time to do (since I won't be training). I guess a better question would be: are there any benefits or drawbacks to cycling on and off of creatine and if you should cycle, what is the appropriate usage window (1 month, 6 months, etc.) and break window?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no benefit to it. The drawback will also be very small. Two weeks might be enough for the water weight associated with creatine to go away so you might notice your bodyweight going down a few pounds.

Supplementing creatine is an advantage you can either have or not have. A years worth of training with creatine will probably be better than a year where you only use creatine for six months.

3. Likes mbasic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would only use creatine during higher volume phases. During a peaking phase I don't think you will see any benefit. If you aren't training, then there is no reason to take it at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Creatine is fine to take year round, not just for the training benefits but also because there are several neuroprotective and cognitive benefits to be taking it. Check out Examine.com’s whole write up regarding creatine.

Missing a week or two is likely not to impact you if you’ve been taking it regularly. I think it takes about 2-4 weeks to deplete those stores off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Body stores 120-140grams. Most ppl will generate 1-2grams without supplementing it maybe 3+ if they ate a lot of protein with decent AA profiles.

Even if they used 5grams a day, itd take them about a month at least to blow through it. Havent ever seen any studies detailing daily creatine usage.

Post Thanks / Like
    No reason for the layoff. It's cheap, and has only positive benefits.