Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New IWF Technical Rules

Post Thanks / Like

New IWF Technical Rules

anybody know if there is a summary of changes anywhere? I'm not reading the whole document to look for any changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm reading through it now. Saw a few things that I don't believe were in it yet.

2.5.1.11 Touch the barbell with his / her footwear.
    (edit: since it isn't clear from that wording alone, touching the barbell with footwear is prohibited)

3.3.5.4 Challenge Cards are issued to Athletes / Teams to challenge Referees' / Jury's decision. One (1) Challenge Card shall be provided for each athlete.

3.3.7 Video Playback Technology (VPT)
    3.3.7.1 VPT is technology to review the Referees’ / Jury’s decision if challenged or in case of disagreement within the Jury.
    3.3.7.2 At Senior, Junior and Youth World Championships, Olympic and Youth Olympic Games it is obligatory to apply VPT.

Still reading through though so if I see anything else I'll note it here.

Full details on the video review here too:

1. Requirements for VPT:
    1a. A minimum of four (4) cameras: one (1) in front of the stage, two (2) on both sides diagonal to the stage, and one (1) at the back at platform level
    1a. VPT uses own-produced signal, however, it must be connected to the Videoboard and Television / Broadcasting to allow in-venue spectators and TV viewers watch the replay. When the Athlete or Team requests for a Challenge, Videoboard and / or TV must indicate “Challenge”
    2a. VPT must serve multi purposes, incl. video archives for later use (e.g. Technical Official training, scientific analysis, seminars / education, etc.).
    2. VPT and pertaining monitor to be located on Jury Table or nearby.
    3. An Operation Team for VPT must be trained and available for quick and efficient handling of the VPT in case of a Challenge.
    4. The procedure can be started by Jury (by stopping the competition) or Athlete / Team (by submitting a Challenge Card to the Technical Controller) before the timing clock is started for the next attempt, or the next athlete having been called appears on the stage, whichever is the last. Upon receiving a Challenge Card, the Technical Controller shall immediately stop the competition.
    5. Only the Jury shall control the playback process. Before the Jury proceeds to the playback process, it must check the Challenge’s validity.
    6. The Jury at its own discretion may also initiate a VPT process when the majority of the Jury’s opinion is different from the Referees’ decision.
    7. There is no limit in the number of replays, however, the Jury must make their decision as quickly as possible.
    8. To reverse the Referees’ decision, unanimity is required among the Jury Members.
    9. Challenge by Athlete or Team.
    9.1 Athlete / Team can only challenge the decisions of its own attempts.
    9.2 One (1) Challenge Card is provided for each athlete at the weigh-in.
    9.3 If the Athlete / Team wants to challenge the Referees’ or Jury’s decision a Challenge request shall be submitted to the nearest Technical Controller by using the Challenge Card.
    9.4 Upon receipt of a Challenge, the Technical Controller must stop the competition to forward the request to the Jury.
    9.5 Challenge request can be made only once per athlete. However, if the Jury approves the Challenge, the Athlete / Team retains the Challenge right.
    Last edited by Cinnadom; 01-02-2019 at 01:08 PM.

3. Likes Bulldog73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnadom View Post
    I'm reading through it now. Saw a few things that I don't believe were in it yet.

2.5.1.11 Touch the barbell with his / her footwear.
    (edit: since it isn't clear from that wording alone, touching the barbell with footwear is prohibited)
    What's the context here? Is this to prevent people from kicking the bar or something before they lift? I find that incredibly douchey but I'm not sure we need a rule for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bauernetics View Post
    What's the context here? Is this to prevent people from kicking the bar or something before they lift? I find that incredibly douchey but I'm not sure we need a rule for it.
    I heard about it first where a lifter competing in the recent IWF meet in Ecuador would spin the barbell with their foot before lifting. While the rules weren't in the TCRR then, the judges were giving red lights for it and the coach only found out why the lifts were turned down after the fact. I don't think I've seen that sort of thing happen a lot though.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really only an American thing I've seen (to touch the bar with the foot). My coach considers it very disrespectful because the barbell is supposed to be your partner and you have to respect it ("would you put your foot on your wife?" he once asked someone when they did it). I think it is pretty stupid to put your foot on the barbell and this was even before my coach scolded others for it. I would actually laugh really hard if we see half a session at AOI fail their openers because of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    It's really only an American thing I've seen (to touch the bar with the foot). My coach considers it very disrespectful because the barbell is supposed to be your partner and you have to respect it ("would you put your foot on your wife?" he once asked someone when they did it). I think it is pretty stupid to put your foot on the barbell and this was even before my coach scolded others for it. I would actually laugh really hard if we see half a session at AOI fail their openers because of this.
    Generally, I would agree. I got in the habit of spinning the bar with my foot while training in very humid gyms that did not have climate control. It didn't happen often, but more than once I had a bar lock up on me during a workout after a heavy rain or on a particularly damp day.

Post Thanks / Like
    re: the foot thing.

#1:
    Isn't it a thing in the middle east anything with the shoe is similar to using the middle finger in the US?
    e.g. throwing the shoe at Bush2 was NOT just because it was a convenient projectile that guy was wearing at the time.
    something-something your shoe usually has some kind of animal shit of some sort on it one way or another something-something its symbology now in those countries/cultures something-something- showing the sole of a shoe is a big F-U ...or slamming the "unclean" shoe onto the portrait of Bush2 or (now defeated) Hussien or the 'merican Flag something-something.
    .... then think to yourself: "Iranian Fans"

#2:
    They don't enforce the dropping from the top thing, so why would they enforce this new shoe thing?
    Would seriously like to see the horn go off right when the lifter touches the bar with their foot.
    I would get a kick out of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    It's really only an American thing I've seen (to touch the bar with the foot).
    I believe I've seen a Eastern Euro girl do this.
    And that is the only time ....that comes to mind right off hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasic View Post
    I believe I've seen a Eastern Euro girl do this.
    And that is the only time ....that comes to mind right off hand.
    The person I remember doing it the most is Kathleen Winters, pretty sure she does it before every lift. But thinking about it I've rarely ever seen anyone do that in competition. Wonder what caused that to be added to the rules specifically?

Jess Saxon is the one I heard got red lights on her snatches at the meet in Ecuador. Does a similar thing before each lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first video woman looks like a total tool. The second one seems a pointless foot touch. Kicking or handling anything with your feet in general is not a sign of respect. I'm with B_Gen and my coach at home is the same. You can also never walk over a barbell.