Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New IWF Technical Rules

Post Thanks / Like
    I just don’t understand the point, even Tommy Kono called that habit disrespectful in his book and said we have hands for a reason. Even if you don’t mean disrespect by it, the posture and action looks disrespectful because you’re looking very far down at the barbell and it’s like reaching out with a 10ft pole to do this. As I said above, the barbell is your partner.

I’m loving the anonymous reactions on reddit regarding this rule. A lot of people there seem pretty lit up over it and don’t think it’s stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    I’m loving the anonymous reactions on reddit regarding this rule. A lot of people there seem pretty lit up over it and don’t think it’s stupid.
    Same with the reactions on Facebook!! Personally, I think it's a good rule. But, I don't see it from a respect perspective, but a hygiene one. I don't want to touch a barbell after you've pointlessly put your foot on it, that's gross!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    Same with the reactions on Facebook!! Personally, I think it's a good rule. But, I don't see it from a respect perspective, but a hygiene one. I don't want to touch a barbell after you've pointlessly put your foot on it, that's gross!!
    but people's hands have more likely been in their mouth, nose, ears and other places brimming with germs. WL shoes probably hasn't touched much but dust, etc.

I'm not afraid of either. I am not disgusted if i don't think about it and i have faith in my immune system. I'm weird though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    but people's hands have more likely been in their mouth, nose, ears and other places brimming with germs. WL shoes probably hasn't touched much but dust, etc.

I'm not afraid of either. I am not disgusted if i don't think about it and i have faith in my immune system. I'm weird though.
    One thing brought up on reddit was putting rosin on the bottom of your shoe then spinning the bar afterwards with your shoe could transfer rosin to the bar. Not sure how much of an effect that would actually have for the lifter really. I'm curious to know the reason that rule was added myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnadom View Post
    One thing brought up on reddit was putting rosin on the bottom of your shoe then spinning the bar afterwards with your shoe could transfer rosin to the bar. Not sure how much of an effect that would actually have for the lifter really. I'm curious to know the reason that rule was added myself.
    In the Facebook group for Masters Weightlifters, Matt Foreman mentioned that several Muslim nations and officials have been trying to get this rule in the books for some time. Anne Lehman also mentioned that in 2005 at Masters Worlds the center ref was Muslim and tried to redlight her and/or stop her lift when she did this. I've also heard many other people say that this rule has been presented many times and been shut down in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the Facebook group for Masters Weightlifters, Matt Foreman mentioned that several Muslim nations and officials have been trying to get this rule in the books for some time. Anne Lehman also mentioned that in 2005 at Masters Worlds the center ref was Muslim and tried to redlight her and/or stop her lift when she did this. I've also heard many other people say that this rule has been presented many times and been shut down in the past.
    Interesting to know, thanks. Sounds like that's the most likely reasoning for the rule being added in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's pretty funny how much discussion and outrage there's been regarding the foot touching the bar rule, but not nearly as much about the addition of the athlete/coach challenge. That seems like the biggest change to the rules really and I'm curious to see how often it comes into play.

The video review is nice to see included after the discussions about that the last few years, but that doesn't really change all that much other than the jury having much better information to base their decisions on. Plus a nice benefit of that is more camera angles to show for the television footage and competition screen replays.

8. Likes ryanwtyler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnadom View Post
    yeah, its BS

for instance, the two tools posted in this thread doing it, spin the bar no where close to where they are grabbing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, see post#7

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is one of those things that people see other athletes doing and they think it makes them look cool so they pick it up as part of their prelift routine. You see something similar with athletes spinning the bar with their hands. It's pointless, but also a little disrespectful to do it with your foot, especially aggressively.

I have seen some athletes use their foot to roll the bar backward, as they are the type of athlete that usually has to walk out a lift, so they are giving themselves room.