Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  1

Thread: I Thought This was Funny

Post Thanks / Like

I Thought This was Funny

Someone on Reddit thought it would be a good idea to eliminate any competitive distinction in weightlifting be it bodyweight or sex. If you haven't read the thread its good for a laugh. And before you ask nope, they don't seem to compete or practice in the sport.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifti..._and_women_to/

Post Thanks / Like
    /r/weightlifting isn't exactly a haven of quality weightlifting discussion, but literally every top-level comment is trashing the OP's idea.

I'd get off your high horse.

3. Dislikes PVCPipe disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    Someone on Reddit thought it would be a good idea to eliminate any competitive distinction in weightlifting be it bodyweight or sex. If you haven't read the thread its good for a laugh. And before you ask nope, they don't seem to compete or practice in the sport.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifti..._and_women_to/
    Yeah, I saw this and it's got to be one of the most stupid ideas I've seen suggested. I have been enjoying the comments ripping him a new one though!!

Post Thanks / Like
    As an aside, this is a Rippetoe thing. . . . well, at least the eliminating the sex divisions part.

paraphrasing:
    - treat men and women as equals, like everyone wants.
    - would eliminate the transgender issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasic View Post
    As an aside, this is a Rippetoe thing. . . . well, at least the eliminating the sex divisions part.

paraphrasing:
    - treat men and women as equals, like everyone wants.
    Gotta love when someone let's their "politics" bleed into their profession.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paramnesia View Post
    /r/weightlifting isn't exactly a haven of quality weightlifting discussion, but literally every top-level comment is trashing the OP's idea.

I'd get off your high horse.
    My high horse? I'm also trashing OP and didn't mention a group consensus, you wayyyyyyyyyyy missed the point of this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasic View Post
    My understanding is that there isn't broad support within the leadership of the IWF towards the inclusion of transgender athletes. But because the IOC have ruled that transgender athletes should be permitted to compete within defined guidelines, the IWF must also allow their participation in order to sustain a good working relationship with the IOC.

In other words, Weightlifting is an Olympic sport and must therefore comply with all IOC rules and policies. Which makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gender separation and bodyweight classes need only exist if the ranking metric is total weight lifted.
    It's literally the name of the sport