Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I'll try this here....Daughter's of "successful" weightlifters who compete in WL now

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try this here....Daughter's of "successful" weightlifters who compete in WL now

I tried this on reddit too. Maybe people here know more about the history of the sport.
    That Lu X thread about his wife and kids got me thinking.

Are there any daughters of successful weightlifters who lift now ... that are good/well known?
    Either daughters of men OR women weightlifters?

not like Hiromi Miyake or one of the those competitors from the countries that.... well, you know ... aren't at the top.
    Miyake is good sure, but Japan is what many would consider "top" as far as the world stage

....but one of the more "decorated" countries like the exUSSRs, China, Bulgaria, Thailand, Poland, etc. etc.

I'm not interested in sons .... but moreso daughters of old lifters.

Women's division has been around for quite a while now, I'm (not really) surprised we haven't seen a parent-daughter tandem come out of one of "those" countries....or at least, I'm not aware of one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe Roark's Iron History website would probably be the best place to get the answers to this question?

Post Thanks / Like
    This doesn't answer your question but the only daughter I can think of in the US is Sydney Goad who showed some promise as a youth (besides being a L10gymnast) but hasn't really done anything of mention since she moved up to 53 then 58. Her mom, was one of our best female lifters in the 80s and 90s, setting a world record besides being a champion I think and garnering a gold at PanAms. Her dad was also a PanAm medalist and one of our best lifters in the 90s.

Dean Goad jr is one of our best juniors and there is another sister who is or was a L10gymnast and may have lifted. Robin was a gymnast as well back in her days until 15 but had chosen the path of WL by then.

Also a fun fact is that Dean Sr was popped for elevated Test levels in 2004. It's redacted in USADA now but you can still google it. I was told he wanted to see what he could do running Test as he was 36 at the time.

CJ's family had been lifters if I remember correctly. Omar was a decent Jr until he switched to Football (was being passed up by CJ and growing as well).

Post Thanks / Like
    meh. reddit is no fun.

Basically, it comes up quite a bit when athletes are interviewed and talking about their childern and spouses.

typically dumbass redditor or commentitor: "duh they should make super elite weightlifting babies"

Welp, my point was in those doper countries, I bet you would be hard pressed to find a mom (or dad) that would really want their kids (esp.daughter) to go thru that whole mess of shit. (lol/cringe @ Vandanians)

Post Thanks / Like
    Rachel Crass and her Father, Derrick, are the most successful father daughter combo. He was World and Olynpic teams, she was Junior and Senior worlds (among other comps for both of them, of course).

6. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally, the only reason Norik started WL is he wanted to jump better for basketball. Note, that he has some siblings (at least 1 brother) who never did WL.

Lu's kid probably won't grow up in poverty to middle class conditions. Same with other powerhouse WL nations. Just like Klokov's dad didn't really want him to become a WLer either and wanted him to pursue different things. It also doesn't sound like Klokov grew up that poor.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the thing, almost all sports and their respective champions come from struggling backgrounds where sport was a possibility for success. There are only a handful of sports that middle class people pursue to the top level, and WLing is not one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Page burgener?

I expect the list to explode in the next 5 years. There’s a whole crop of kids growing up watching their parents weightlifting and crossfitting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogie roll View Post
    Page burgener?

I expect the list to explode in the next 5 years. There’s a whole crop of kids growing up watching their parents weightlifting and crossfitting
    Sage

Post Thanks / Like
    Csilla Földi (born 25 August 1968) is a retired Hungarian weightlifter who was active between 1987 and 2000. She won eight medals at the European championships, including five golds in 1989–1993. Her father Imre Földi was a 1972 Olympic champion in weightlifting.