Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Respect the Sport?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pointing the sole of your shoes at someone is a (heavy) insult in various Middle Eastern countries/communities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    Touching the bar with your foot isn’t disrespectful. The new technical rule is stupid because it doesn’t move the sport forward - it just creates more confusion for spectators and tv audiences.

Weightlifting needs fewer technical rules, not more.
    Well, erpel's post is a good example of how what is/isn't disrespectful is not always something that crosses cultural boundaries.

Curious, which technical rules would you do away with?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe nobody in this thread has mentioned the number of times following a big lift someone has kissed the plates or ended up sitting on them and posing.

There should be a helpful sign at the chalk bowl;-

'Lips on plates and bar allowed. Bum on plates and bar allowed. Shoe on plates and bar not allowed.'

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post

Exaggeration for effect, much?
    Nope. Not at all. You would be hard pressed to find a sport that instituted a rule like this for absolutely no reason. They went out of their way to institute a completely useless rule. It isn't for safety or sanitation. It offers no benefit whatsoever except to silence a loud minority.

So if I was handling, say, a firearm, I don't need to worry about handling/treating it with respect because it's inanimate, regardless of the fact it could end my life or the life of someone I care about?
    I've handled firearms everyday for over 20 years professionally, and casually on a daily basis since I was about 4 years old. Firearms do not require my respect. They require I handle them safely and responsibly. My feelings towards them are irrelevant. Someone can handle a gun with all the respect in the world, but if they lack safety, they may kill someone. If they have no respect for the object, yet handle it safely, they won't harm anyone.

The same applies to a barbell. No matter how many deep personal feelings you have for it, all that matters in the end is how you handle it.

Throwing a perfectly good barbell into the air and trying to jump underneath it and catch it without getting guillotined is kind of stupid too, depending on your perspective.
    I have absolutely no idea what it is that you're trying to say here, or what point you're trying to make. I agree. That's why I don't throw a barbell into the air and try to catch it.

I really find it interesting how up in arms some people get about the respect thing, on both sides.
    No one gets up in arms about it until we're told something nonsensical such as we have to respect an inanimate object and treat it as a living being, or by not treating it as if it were alive we somehow "don't have respect for the sport". As long as no one expects me to walk around a barbell and treat it as if it were a human being that I'm stepping over, I have no issue with what anyone else chooses to do. You can bring your bar inside for warmth during the winter, sleep with it, or even marry it for all I care. I'm just not doing anything like that. Mine sits on the ground in my garage, gets dropped daily, and stepped over like a common inanimate object, because it is.

6. Likes thatmoutain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    Nope. Not at all. You would be hard pressed to find a sport that instituted a rule like this for absolutely no reason. They went out of their way to institute a completely useless rule. It isn't for safety or sanitation. It offers no benefit whatsoever except to silence a loud minority.
    What you're describing kind of sounds like the NFL instituting rules that everyone on the field must stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem (those rules are, I think, currently frozen because of the backlash they received).

Tennis players at Wimbledon have to wear all-white.

There's a rule in the NHL that you can't tuck in your jersey (though I'm not sure how strictly it's enforced).

Apparently at some chess tournaments there's rules about female players showing too much cleavage.

I could keep looking but honestly my curiosity is running out.

I've handled firearms everyday for over 20 years professionally, and casually on a daily basis since I was about 4 years old. Firearms do not require my respect. They require I handle them safely and responsibly. My feelings towards them are irrelevant. Someone can handle a gun with all the respect in the world, but if they lack safety, they may kill someone. If they have no respect for the object, yet handle it safely, they won't harm anyone.

The same applies to a barbell. No matter how many deep personal feelings you have for it, all that matters in the end is how you handle it.
    Then you know far more about firearms than I do. That said, I think there is overlap between handling an object safely/responsibly, and handling it with respect. Also, it's apparent that, for some people, touching a barbell with your foot is akin to mishandling it. But this is getting dangerously close to an argument over semantics that I'm not sure I'm interested in.

I have absolutely no idea what it is that you're trying to say here, or what point you're trying to make. I agree. That's why I don't throw a barbell into the air and try to catch it.
    You said walking around a barbell was stupid. I'm saying that there are people who watch what we do for fun and say "that's stupid" and I used an exaggerated and incorrect explanation of what happens when we lift to do it.

No one gets up in arms about it until we're told something nonsensical such as we have to respect an inanimate object and treat it as a living being, or by not treating it as if it were alive we somehow "don't have respect for the sport". As long as no one expects me to walk around a barbell and treat it as if it were a human being that I'm stepping over, I have no issue with what anyone else chooses to do. You can bring your bar inside for warmth during the winter, sleep with it, or even marry it for all I care. I'm just not doing anything like that. Mine sits on the ground in my garage, gets dropped daily, and stepped over like a common inanimate object, because it is.
    To be clear, you're not being told you have to respect an inanimate object; you're being told you can't put your foot on it during a competition. Well, that's what the rules are telling you, anyways. Do whatever you want with your own bar on your own time.

Post Thanks / Like
    What you're describing kind of sounds like the NFL instituting rules that everyone on the field must stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem (those rules are, I think, currently frozen because of the backlash they received).
    I don't want to derail things, but many people aren't American and might also misunderstand this situation. It was never an NFL rule. The teams' owner(s) pay their players/employees a ton of money and may or may not have required their highly paid employees to stand up for a bit. Also, a certain high profile individual was never fired. His contract wasn't renewed because he wasn't good enough to play at that level.

Post Thanks / Like
    A much more diverse group of folks here than I originally thought: ex-toddler-age assassins, barbell throwers (and catchers), NFL pundits, chess (chest?) players. I really do feel like a loser for not expanding the horizon of my interests and hobbies.

ANYWAY, it is a rule: IWF says, "don't touch the fucking barbell with your foot; although in prior years we didn't give a crap." Is there anything substantial gained by touching it with your foot on the competition platform? Under the prior rules, was there anything substantial gained by not touching it with your foot? Just do not touch it -- an inanimate or potentially animate-with-feelings or whatever piece of metal -- with your foot on the competition platform. Grab the barbell (heck, don't use a hookgrip if that's your thing and/or form of personal expression) and see how much you can get overhead. . . . don't slam the bar. Enjoy.
    Last edited by mb_here; 02-27-2019 at 11:03 AM.

10. Likes Bulldog73, Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not your equipment, follow the organizer's rules.

And once again, this is a big NOPE in the Middle East. That should be enough.
    There's also no IWF rule about having the Nazi flag on your singlet. Plenty of countries where this wouldn't be an immediate concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post
    I don't want to derail things, but many people aren't American and might also misunderstand this situation. It was never an NFL rule. The teams' owner(s) pay their players/employees a ton of money and may or may not have required their highly paid employees to stand up for a bit. Also, a certain high profile individual was never fired. His contract wasn't renewed because he wasn't good enough to play at that level.
    It was never a rule during the season, but last summer they voted it in: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-anthem-policy

Would have required anyone on the field to stand for the anthem but gave players the option of staying in the locker room for the anthem. From the article:
    "We want people to be respectful of the national anthem," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "We want people to stand -- that's all personnel -- and make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That's something we think we owe. [But] we were also very sensitive to give players choices."
    And then they got cold feet and squashed/froze it before the season started. Far as I'm aware there is currently no anthem policy in place. Further discussions on the specifics of that issue are probably best left elsewhere but I will agree that the specific high profile individual you mention wasn't good enough (but may have signed somewhere if he would have taken a pay cut and/or his girlfriend didn't sabotage him).

Quote Originally Posted by mb_here View Post
    A much more diverse group of folks here than I originally thought: ex-toddler-age assassins, barbell throwers (and catchers), NFL pundits, chess (chest?) players. I really do feel like a loser for not expanding the horizon of my interests and hobbies.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm just a guy who lifts too many weights and has enough time on his hands to google "stupid sports rules"

Quote Originally Posted by mb_here View Post
    Is there anything substantial gained by touching it with your foot on the competition platform? Under the prior rules, was there anything substantial gained by not touching it with your foot?
    This. In my opinion this should be a complete non-issue. Reminds me of the rule that you have to face the center referee at the beginning of the lift (2.5.1.9 here: https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploa...1012019_v2.pdf). Really shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    There's also no IWF rule about having the Nazi flag on your singlet. Plenty of countries where this wouldn't be an immediate concern.
    Thanks for invoking Godwin's law.

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is pure gold. The most remarkable thing, IMO, is that two people are arguing about “respecting” something using two different definitions of “respect”. Respecting a firearm and respecting a person are two entirely different things