Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Recovery at 80% vs 90%

Post Thanks / Like

Recovery at 80% vs 90%

Hello brothers and sisters, today's topic of discussion is recovery. As we all know, it doesn't matter if you murder yourself in training for a day at max weights, if you can't train properly for the rest of the week. Training every day at 70% would be superior. Right? No? Discuss.

Who finds that the recovery (and subsequent gains) from training at 70-80% to be superior than training at 90%? Who finds 90%+ training to be essential and 80% almost useless in comparison? Share your experiences.

This can be applied to rep ranges too - who gets a lot of gains from 6-10 reps on most exercises, and who finds 1-3 reps launch their abilities through the roof? Call it 3-4 reps or 1-2 reps on WL movements, and the larger rep ranges for squats, pulls etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    im near 40. That may mean something or not, idk...

for strength movements like presses and squats, i appear to recover better with sets no larger than 5. So 70%-85% i can manage 5's, then 3's and 2's for >85%. Strength movements for sets of 8-10 totally kill my hips (IT/Glute area) and shoulders. Then, because i cant recover, i cant train...or gain.

for the classics, i do a lot better with nothing over 3's. The only way i can do say...85/3 is as a cluster. Its not a recovery thing as much as it is a technique going out the window thing.

So this is me doing doubles and triples for "fast" movements. Then doing sets of 5 for slow movements. At this point, i'm more concerned with trying to rid myself of the need of wrist wraps (which is a painful process)

EDIT: my last strength block should've been 12 weeks but it turned out to be 15 because i would train one day, then do mobility the next. I did put 13kg onto my clean and 3kg to my CJ. I made enough gains the last time around that i'm trying to see if i can manage with less days in between workouts. Up until now (week 3), so far so good. The point of that being, i'm still (always) experimenting with myself.
    Last edited by rawfeels; 02-27-2019 at 12:19 PM.

3. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In strength work I have found higher reps to be more beneficial. In the Russian literature it says 4-12 RM is great for building strength. It also says that anything above 6 reps starts training different qualities. I think the takeaway is that volume work (multiple sub-max sets) should be done for 3-6 reps. The occasional 8-12 RM will provide extra stimulation to help things move along. So a 10 RM squat is great, but 5 sets of 10 at 60-65% would distract somewhat from the goal of strength. 5 sets of 6 with 70% would be better.

In the classic lifts I tend to treat them as practice with lower reps in the 80-90% range, and let the strength/power work ultimately drive the progress. That said, I have done a 5x5 phase in the snatch and hit a PR afterwards. It sure made the quads tired.

5. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I my experience the need for conditioning exercises to improve recovery rises as you push the intensity of your training.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long have you been doing this, Matt? Does this consistently work for you?