Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technique Analysis

Post Thanks / Like

Technique Analysis

Starting to do some video analysis. I have more athletes that aren't training in house than ever before, so this is becoming more necessary. Some people have mentioned that they enjoy hearing what I'm seeing/thinking, so I thought I'd share.

I'm also opening this up to other people, so if you want me to review your lifting send it over. No promises on when I'll get around to critiquing your video. If you record your lifts, do it in 60fps (preferably 120fps) because it makes it smoother when you slow the footage down. I wouldn't recommend 240fps (which some iphones do) unless it's super bright where you're lifting. At that frame rate the footage looks pretty bad usually.

Also open to other people's comments on this lift or my critique :-)

2. Likes Blairbob, brownbear1968 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you only doing technical review from the side? I don't have any rn from the side but I'm sure I can film cleans tomorrow, snatches monday and jerks tuesdays for shits and giggles.

Is this just 70? I'm guessing he can snatch a lot more than 70? Sometimes some lifters will loop the bar way more out at lighter loads though obviously his 1st and 2nd pull need work.
    Last edited by Blairbob; 03-01-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Are you only doing technical review from the side? I don't have any rn from the side but I'm sure I can film cleans tomorrow, snatches monday and jerks tuesdays for shits and giggles.

Is this just 70? I'm guessing he can snatch a lot more than 70? Sometimes some lifters will loop the bar way more out at lighter loads though obviously his 1st and 2nd pull need work.
    I prefer to do technical analysis from the side. But I'll take a look at whatevs.

His seasonal best is 96kg. His all time best is 102kg. It basically only got worse after this lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    which app are you using to draw your line and everything? is this GoPro footage that you put into coach's eye on your laptop?

if i had any thoughts/critiques on the process, i would like to see a side by side if that's feasible. It's good to hear what not to do, but it would be better to see a better path. Ex: you compared his path to Ilya's but didn't show Ilya's to demonstrate what you mean. Or maybe you could have the green straight line, his yellow path, and a "preferred" blue path.

Post Thanks / Like
    The software I use for the bar path is called Kinovea. It used to be free, I don't know if it still is.

I do not use a GoPro for this, I use an Sony a7sii. I like my GoPro, but it doesn't do well in low light (inside lights) especially at higher frame rates.

Regarding the side by side, I don't have any high speed footage of any elite Weightlifters, and anything on the web is already been compressed so it will look awful when slowed down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does Kinovea allow you to draw other lines a la John Madden? Either way, i like the video. I was thinking of the point of view of someone who is brand new and might not know what the S curve should look like.

good to hear about the GoPro vs the 7sii. I had thought of buying a GoPro before but ended up with a Fuji instead (that i could use for multi purpose video and pictures)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rawfeels View Post
    Does Kinovea allow you to draw other lines a la John Madden? Either way, i like the video. I was thinking of the point of view of someone who is brand new and might not know what the S curve should look like.

good to hear about the GoPro vs the 7sii. I had thought of buying a GoPro before but ended up with a Fuji instead (that i could use for multi purpose video and pictures)
    Nice Fuji makes good stuff. Which one did you get?

Post Thanks / Like
    i got an xt20 with the xf 18-55 f4 lens. This was early last year. This year i finally got a 23mm f2 prime (effective 35mm).

i haven't tried the 23mm prime with video yet but the playback on the 18mm was pretty good at 4k. I am still learning how to use the thing correctly and messing with manual modes. I'm fairly ok with manual for stills (landscape mostly...because i still need to think about what im doing). But eventually, the idea is to take stills in the gym as well as video (for analysis). I haven't looked into any programs that could take my video and make it slow motion though.

if i had about $4k to blow...i would've loved the A9 for better in motion stills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, thanks for this kind opportunity to send you videos.
    Are you receiving the videos for analysis through mp, or can we post the videos here or other option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brownbear1968 View Post
    Tony, thanks for this kind opportunity to send you videos.
    Are you receiving the videos for analysis through mp, or can we post the videos here or other option?
    The best way to get me the videos is either FB messenger, or a cloud service like google drive. That way I can download the actual videos and make edits to them as necessary.

Tony@Arkitectfitness.com

12. Likes brownbear1968 liked this post