Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: wrists and cysts and mobility

Post Thanks / Like

wrists and cysts and mobility

i have what i think are ganglion cysts on both wrists. They're on the top side at the tip of where the forefinger and thumb bones make a V (so about 1/2" above the wrist joint). They've been there a number of years and are hard as a rock but don't cause issues in daily life.

my wrist mobility is such that for cleans and jerks i have no pain with a full grip. For snatch, i have some dull pain on the inside of the wrist (thumb side) in snatch grip overhead.

Anyway...to try and alleviate some of the pain, I've been using thick wrist wraps for years. Recently, I've been trying to get away from them to get the wrists stronger and now i don't need them for CJ. I still need them for snatches but I've switched to thin (crossfit) kind. Also, I've started the awkward process of letting the hook go in the snatch turnover. The thinking being that my hook grip is causing undue stress to the ligaments/tendons. So far, letting go, aside from being awkward as all hell, has made me slower under the bar (though that's just me being scared and not used to the feeling yet. Timing is off but it's getting better). Also, letting go has gotten me to get the bar further behind my head in the hole...which has opened up some hip mobility issues (lack of) and i'm catching higher than normal to compensate.

i smashed these things down with a hammer a couple years ago. Basically i just bruised my wrists without effect to the cyst.

have any of you had them drained before? Can they be drained when they feel like bones, not squishy? any of you guys do hot yoga just for mobility sake?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have them too, actually there are a few on each wrist. Like you, they don't cause any pain and will get bigger and smaller on their own over time. I've never tried to smash mine, though. I've also never had them drained or talked with a doc about surgery to remove them, mainly since I haven't had any pain associated with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rawfeels View Post
    i have what i think are ganglion cysts on both wrists. They're on the top side at the tip of where the forefinger and thumb bones make a V (so about 1/2" above the wrist joint). They've been there a number of years and are hard as a rock but don't cause issues in daily life.

my wrist mobility is such that for cleans and jerks i have no pain with a full grip. For snatch, i have some dull pain on the inside of the wrist (thumb side) in snatch grip overhead.

Anyway...to try and alleviate some of the pain, I've been using thick wrist wraps for years. Recently, I've been trying to get away from them to get the wrists stronger and now i don't need them for CJ. I still need them for snatches but I've switched to thin (crossfit) kind. Also, I've started the awkward process of letting the hook go in the snatch turnover. The thinking being that my hook grip is causing undue stress to the ligaments/tendons. So far, letting go, aside from being awkward as all hell, has made me slower under the bar (though that's just me being scared and not used to the feeling yet. Timing is off but it's getting better). Also, letting go has gotten me to get the bar further behind my head in the hole...which has opened up some hip mobility issues (lack of) and i'm catching higher than normal to compensate.

i smashed these things down with a hammer a couple years ago. Basically i just bruised my wrists without effect to the cyst.

have any of you had them drained before? Can they be drained when they feel like bones, not squishy? any of you guys do hot yoga just for mobility sake?
    Are you sure they are ganglion cysts?

They may be bone growths. Look up pictures of "carpal boss".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bourgeois View Post
    Are you sure they are ganglion cysts?

They may be bone growths. Look up pictures of "carpal boss".
    I had never heard of this before. This may be more of what I have, as the bumps are very hard and don't move at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    I had never heard of this before. This may be more of what I have, as the bumps are very hard and don't move at all.
    I had one on each wrist as well. Experienced no pain for about 5 years, but suddenly they were so bad that I could not snatch at full width anymore.

They will become painful eventually. Had one removed surgically. I do not recommend this. It is worse than before the surgery, doesn't matter how much rehab I do, nothing helps. Do whatever you can to correct the cause now. Definitely see a PT. They basically killed my lifting career and have made training ever since a huge chore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bourgeois View Post
    I had one on each wrist as well. Experienced no pain for about 5 years, but suddenly they were so bad that I could not snatch at full width anymore.

They will become painful eventually. Had one removed surgically. I do not recommend this. It is worse than before the surgery, doesn't matter how much rehab I do, nothing helps. Do whatever you can to correct the cause now. Definitely see a PT. They basically killed my lifting career and have made training ever since a huge chore.
    deng. Yeah from the sound of it, this is more accurate. "Treatment" is confusing though. Apparently its a bony growth. But treatment consists of taking ibuprofen if there's pain (which doesn't treat the cause), injecting a corticosteroid (also doesn't treat the cause), or surgery, where i assume they just file it down or something. Treatment is just putting a band aid on. I haven't read anything that says the lump ever goes away barring surgery. And if trauma caused the lump in the first place, after surgery, i'd imagine i shouldn't lift again... which defeats the purpose for me.

apparently, the short version is that aside from additional wrist mobility exercises, there's nothing really to do aside from wearing wraps (which is what i was trying to get away from). i initially wanted to get my joints and ligaments stronger and not reliant on wraps. Guess it's just something i'll have to live with until i can't. For now, there's no pain..

thanks for that info though. Had no idea about bosses