Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Cycle while injured?

Post Thanks / Like

Pulling Cycle while injured?

Dealing with some nagging hip injuries that bother me when squatting so I wanted to give that a rest for a while to heal up. Its easy to find a plethora of different squat cycles but I was wondering if anybody had any pulling cycles they could recommend to keep me busy the next couple months. I know there is a big debate as to whether or not pulls help but that's beside the point, I just want to have something to strengthen while i take some time off squatting. Id really like to just see how high i can get my clean deadlift, I dont even care about extending at the top. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are talking about a strict clean pull, then squat programs would be fine.

You do know pulls are going to stress the hips also, and delay recovery?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm confused by your comment? Are you saying that I can apply any squat program template to strict clean pulls? And yes I understand they still tax the hips but it's more of just a lingering nagging issue. When I squat I feel it and it bothers me, when I do clean pulls it doesn't bother me at all and I can't even feel it. It's really only a problem when I get to the bottom of a squat position.
    Last edited by pufatr01; 03-06-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: MIs spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pufatr01 View Post
    I'm confused by your comment? Are you saying that I can apply any squat program template to strict clean pulls?
    Not Matt but; yes it would probably suffice. Clean pulls are more leg dominant than conventional deadlifts. I've done Russian Squat Program for my clean deadlift when I had elbow problems and it was doable (expect some sore erectors though) and got me a 15 kg improvement, and later on a big pr on the power clean and overall stronger pull.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe not some extreme squat programs, but most of them should be fine.

Any reasonable strength progression will be fine. If you keep your form, then the low back won't be stressed as much as conventional deadlifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kefka, what kind of numbers are we talking about here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not do a bunch of single leg stuff? Getting strong on one leg will translate to the bigger lifts, and help prevent future injuries. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not a bad idea except for the fact that I would only be able to do one leg lol. My left hip would prevent me from doing any sort of hip flexion whether it be double or single leg.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can't get into hip flexion, how will you pull?

Post Thanks / Like
    While it might be embarassing to do, if you can squat with a limited rom without pain it will do a lot for maintaining and even improving strength.