Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Yang

Post Thanks / Like

Coach Yang

Hi All,

I had recently read this thread on coach yang:

http://wlforums.com/forums/showthrea...n-China-review

So now he charges $200USD for a single class (2-3 hours) stepping down slightly if you book a week, month etc. This is done in his gym in qingdao.

Any recent experiences with him? I think it's a bit pricey seeing as I would have to pay for accom and meals etc.

It's hard to justify as other programs as the OP above said have this all included for roughly this price. However you don't have 1-1 coaching.

Post Thanks / Like
    100$ for 2-3 hours of a highly experienced and skillful professional is, in reality, pretty cheap. 200$ is getting towards 'what those crazy westerners will pay' stuff, and is quite expensive. People have a lot more money than you think, however. 100 was reasonable. Accom and meals and stuff is your own problem, if he is working for 30$ an hour to teach you stuff you consider to be extremely valuable and a fantastic investment. 50-60$, sure yeah, that's a bit steeper, but think about if you were doing a guitar lesson with a very experienced professional guitar guy. Or anything else. People will pay 50$ an hour for a plumber to fix their sink no problem. A relatively random cookie cutter programme for a lot less is relatively valueless. That's why there are tonnes and they are not that different from free programs. Individualised programming is the way forward, online or offline, and if you have the money for in person coaching, its great.

Think about it this way - Over 4 weeks, 3 sessions a week, that's just over 1000$ for experience and knowledge you may never otherwise possess. For 2000$, its a lot of money sure, but the point remains the same.

Having said that I thought yangyang was Larry Yang, the Canadian guy who used to be on here.

I have no experiences with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CNL. I was more looking at the relative value and trying to weigh up the pros and cons of choosing him.

Pros: 1-1 coaching, flexible time schedule (i.e no set dates).
    Cons: expensive relative to other coaching programs (e.g Ma strength, TOROKHTIY which charge c.$200 including accomodation) however this i associate this due to the 1-1 coaching. On the other hand these programs have the name associated with them (Ma reputation in china and Torokhtiy former olympian).

Aside from the above OP's link i haven't really heard of this guy before...i've seen his instagram and website http://www.coachyang.com/ but haven't really seen too many reviews.....

Post Thanks / Like
    200$ for Torohtiy and Ma, where are you getting that figure from?

Post Thanks / Like
    For Ma strength: https://chineseweightlifting.com/cam...htlifting-camp

$2750 from May 29- June 13 - assuming 16 days its $171 including accom.

for torohtiy - https://torokhtiy.com/products/training-camp

$2800+$500 = $3300 for 14 days so $235

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    . A relatively random cookie cutter programme for a lot less is relatively valueless. That's why there are tonnes and they are not that different from free programs. Individualised programming is the way forward, online or offline, and if you have the money for in person coaching, its great.
    As aside, I know a guy who developed and manages the backend for an extremely successful social media based fitness/body-building celebrity.

The celebrity sells individualised training programs based on customer data which gets submitted programs are ordered online.

Which sounds great right? Except that the programming is generated entirely algorithmically (scaled to fitness level and bodyweight) with a handful of randomised exercise elements added in. The backend then waits for a randomised period between 1-2 days before it sends out the newly generated program to the customer - which reinforces the perception that it has been carefully created by hand.

The business currently pulls in over 4 million USD a year in revenue with three paid staff, and the celebrity is able to concentrate on social media and developing the brand.

Which is a complicated way of saying that technology now delivers us the worst of both worlds i.e. cookie cutter programming is being sold as bespoke. Caveat emptor...

7. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Cleddau. I agree with both you and CNL. That's why especially with learning techniques I would always go to 1-1 training rather than online. Just the issue I have here is the flight price (£750 and I only have time for 9 days) in addition to the training of $150 minimum per day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought straps from him once, I think his girlfriend has some hook ups with some of the equipment manufacturers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Larry. What was your experience with him? Do you know anyone who has trained with him?

Post Thanks / Like
    What information are you hoping to hear, other than what I included in the thread? There's a couple of people on instagram that have trained with him you could direct message. They pop up in his feed sometimes and are tagged in the descriptions.

If you want the "what is Chinese weightlifting and how does it work" experience, go for a camp.
    If you want focus on your own training alongside a coach who corrects you every single rep, go for coach yang.

That's the main difference in my opinion. Especially if you speak Chinese I think Yang should be better value for money. Simply because the focus is on you entirely - and not on the schedule of the camp. You get a lot more feedback in each session. If you don't speak any Chinese at all, it's probably too much of a headache though.

That being said, I have no experience with the camp.