Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chances of weightlifting staying in the Olympics increasing?

Post Thanks / Like

Chances of weightlifting staying in the Olympics increasing?

So, it looks like the IOC is warming to the idea of weightlifting staying in the Olympics long term:

https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2...2024-olympics/

I think there are still lots of potential pitfalls though. Retesting of samples is continuing to reveal drug use that had gone undetected:

https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2...sticated-test/
    https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2...e-she-retired/

and later this year we will have the odd spectacle of a World Championships in a country that would be suspended if it didn't voluntarily withdraw its athletes.

https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2...y-in-thailand/

What do you think our chances are? Is the new qualification system and the threat of national suspensions enough to keep us in the Olympics?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is still an ever present cloud of national federation conspiracy to commit doping. Short of that, I think the sport will be ok, but this latest streak of positives, if repeated elsewhere, could counter a lot of good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    but this latest streak of positives, if repeated elsewhere, could counter a lot of good work.
    Yeah waking up the day after the news about weightlifting being moved off the provisional list to then find out Hsu Shu-Ching had been popped and had it covered up... It's this kind of thing!

4. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb WL House View Post
    Yeah waking up the day after the news about weightlifting being moved off the provisional list to then find out Hsu Shu-Ching had been popped and had it covered up... It's this kind of thing!
    yeah but i mean... a rational person (committee) cant impose new rules saying "if you don't follow said rules, we're kicking you out", then enforce those rules on things that happened prior to those rules being imposed, can they? It'd be like having a trial for a crime committed after the statute of limitations has expired. There needs to be a clean slate. A starting line so to speak.. and whatever happened prior, happened. But move on.

Maybe my timeline of when this whole conversation started is off

i found myself ranting about the nonsense of it all.... from a philosophical point of view

the end of it for me is, yes, we know people cheat now and have cheated previously. But adding to the pile of "there was cheating 5-6-10 years ago" doesn't do anything meaningful. It doesn't make their point any clearer. Dirty water is dirty water. Doesn't matter how dirty, you're still not going to drink it yknow?
    Last edited by rawfeels; 03-29-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: i was ranting

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we kind of had that with everything before 2008 and the statute is a rolling one, 10 years.

The IOC, through WADA and signed on by the IWF, have this standard, and the nature of it means that winding down doping practices will take quite a bit of time as follow up tests of improved technology do short term retroactive sweeps. If you think about it, its probably better this way, no country appears to have reformed its state organized doping practices willingly - perhaps Germany would be the only example, but with other obvious influences at play. Setting an arbitrary date of doping adherence might draw out the process further. I'm certainly not in favour of the principle of changing the rules on the fly however.

The Chinese-Taipei case is interesting for the bureaucratic shield that was uncovered........ the question mark over national and regional testing organizations has long been in our conscience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rawfeels View Post
    the end of it for me is, yes, we know people cheat now and have cheated previously. But adding to the pile of "there was cheating 5-6-10 years ago" doesn't do anything meaningful.
    Agreed. The new position from the IOC shouldn't be tainted by problems that occurred years ago. I imagine that these random pops from years prior will only keep on springing up. Let's just hope Kuo Hsing Chun doesn't get stung!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't help but think the hurdles the IWF are potentially going to need to jump through to keep in the IOC "Good Books" are only going to be detrimental to the Sport long term...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I was in the minority thinking that actually weightlifting would never be removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rawfeels View Post
    adding to the pile of "there was cheating 5-6-10 years ago" doesn't do anything meaningful.
    The point of the retests is to create a deterrent to drug use now. If teams know that even a drug that avoids current testing technology can lead to a failure in a retest a few years down the line, they are less likely to push the line now.

I don't agree with the idea that new rules are retroactively being imposed – the rules about banned substances that are being enforced through the retesting program are the ones that were applicable when the samples were taken, not the current banned list. No one is being punished for taking something that wasn't banned at the time they took it. New technology is just being used to determine who broke the rules that were in place at the time.

It's like new DNA technology being used to catch criminals from the past –why should someone get away with murder they did ten years ago just because the police didn't have access to the technology we have now?

There is definitely an argument for having some kind of limit to how far back we look but I think the window being used by the IOC is reasonable.
    If I link to Weightlifting House a lot, that's because I'm the editor there. I want your weightlifting news!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    I think I was in the minority thinking that actually weightlifting would never be removed.
    Yeah I think deep down I never really let myself believe that Weightlifting would be dropped. But actually I think we were closer than we realise.