Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chances of weightlifting staying in the Olympics increasing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_weightliftinghouse View Post
    The point of the retests is to create a deterrent to drug use now. If teams know that even a drug that avoids current testing technology can lead to a failure in a retest a few years down the line, they are less likely to push the line now.

I don't agree with the idea that new rules are retroactively being imposed – the rules about banned substances that are being enforced through the retesting program are the ones that were applicable when the samples were taken, not the current banned list. No one is being punished for taking something that wasn't banned at the time they took it. New technology is just being used to determine who broke the rules that were in place at the time.

It's like new DNA technology being used to catch criminals from the past –why should someone get away with murder they did ten years ago just because the police didn't have access to the technology we have now?

There is definitely an argument for having some kind of limit to how far back we look but I think the window being used by the IOC is reasonable.
    Samples are held for 8 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb WL House View Post
    Yeah I think deep down I never really let myself believe that Weightlifting would be dropped. But actually I think we were closer than we realise.
    Now, I can be awful cynical about this stuff, but what little faith I may have had in the IOC was irrevocably shaken when they axed wrestling. I think without major change weightlifting is still on borrowed time.

Post Thanks / Like
    If public opinion changes will the IOC give the Medals back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    Samples are held for 8 years.
    They increased the maximum sample storage period to ten years

Post Thanks / Like
    As I had understood it, as long as there are no positives at the Olympic Games the sport is fine. It is actually a good thing we are catching lifters and countries prior to the Games. If we have another situation like some of the previous Games then our sport is screwed.

6. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    If public opinion changes will the IOC give the Medals back?
    If public opinion changes then the rules on drug use may be changed going forwards but that won't change the fact that past dopers cheated under the rules they agreed to.

I think there is an important difference between the question of what substances athletes should be allowed to use under the rules and whether those rules should be enforced. There is a debate to be had about what the rules should be, but once rules are agreed they need to be enforced, otherwise sport just doesn't work.
    If I link to Weightlifting House a lot, that's because I'm the editor there. I want your weightlifting news!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    They increased the maximum sample storage period to ten years
    good info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    Now, I can be awful cynical about this stuff, but what little faith I may have had in the IOC was irrevocably shaken when they axed wrestling. I think without major change weightlifting is still on borrowed time.
    Agreed. The Olympics is not about who is best, biggest, fastest, strongest anymore. That whole hyper-competitiveness is the anti-trend right now. Its about money. Sad.

I think maybe a saving grace with weightlifting is that if they were to can it, there is nothing to replace it. Powerlifting (as a sport) is a joke, and quite literally everything else is a chemical circus. If they drop weightlifting, they'll have no strength sport in the Olympics, save perhaps track and field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    no country appears to have reformed its state organized doping practices willingly
    That is what i was getting at in part of my edited out rant in regards to the meaningfulness of it. As far as reporting goes, its one thing to use your new technology to test new/recent results ("So and so gets popped at 2018 Worlds"- reads the caption). That's good and your point about changed doping practices would line up as it would show so and so did not change. But, using this new tech to say "so and so cheated 10 years ago!! See? they didn't change in 2009 when we told them to change in 2012"... doesn't do much other than cause some unnecessary eye rolling on the part of IOC and the public

of course, i only started paying attention around 2012. Maybe the conversation about sport banishment started in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_weightliftinghouse View Post
    The point of the retests is to create a deterrent to drug use now....
    It's like new DNA technology being used to catch criminals from the past –why should someone get away with murder they did ten years ago just because the police didn't have access to the technology we have now?
    I agree and can see how it would be a deterrent to using now. Which is exactly why there needs to be a definitive beginning to start the countdown so to speak. "Now" is a relative term. It's constantly moving if you're thinking 3 years from now. What i mean is, use the new tests to retest and punish old samples. Thats fine. But if those sanctions also tick the box on the countdown to sport removal...that's entirely different. Without a starting line, a date that says "failures after this date go towards sport banishment", we're just piling sanctions on to infinity. With a starting date of say Nov 1, 2015... it'd have some structure to it.

But, like i had responded to Peter, maybe this conversation (and date) began in 2008. I didnt pay attention until 2012 and havent seen any guidance on when the sport removal thing became an issue. *shrug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    I think maybe a saving grace with weightlifting is that if they were to can it, there is nothing to replace it. Powerlifting (as a sport) is a joke, and quite literally everything else is a chemical circus. If they drop weightlifting, they'll have no strength sport in the Olympics, save perhaps track and field.
    I don't think they care about having a strength sport. The IOC would love to replace WL with yet another gymnastics or water-related event.