Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Asian Championships 2019 (20th-28th April)

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on his lifting today, I think Ilya has an uphill struggle to make it to Tokyo (sorry Seb). His Robi score from here (667) has to count as one of his four towards his final score and it's just not good enough.

Right now, he is way back on the other 96's and way behind other Kazakh lifters who also want the one possible male space for KAZ in Tokyo. I just can't see him making up the distance in the next year.
    If I link to Weightlifting House a lot, that's because I'm the editor there. I want your weightlifting news!

2. Likes Rezazadeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_weightliftinghouse View Post
    Based on his lifting today, I think Ilya has an uphill struggle to make it to Tokyo (sorry Seb). His Robi score from here (667) has to count as one of his four towards his final score and it's just not good enough.

Right now, he is way back on the other 96's and way behind other Kazakh lifters who also want the one possible male space for KAZ in Tokyo. I just can't see him making up the distance in the next year.
    why do you think he went for second/third attempts on the snatch but not on the clean and jerk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezazadeh View Post
    why do you think he went for second/third attempts on the snatch but not on the clean and jerk?
    Because he knows he's done. Imagine how deflating it is the struggle to jerk 185 @ 96 when you won the 2012 Olympic gold jerking 233 @ 94.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing from that session will have given Moradi anything to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Nothing from that session will have given Moradi anything to worry about.
    Tao going 3/3 on the snatch is pretty rare, he got 183kg too which is a new PB. Also not clear how Moradi's recovery/rehab will affect him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezazadeh View Post
    Tao going 3/3 on the snatch is pretty rare, he got 183kg too which is a new PB. Also not clear how Moradi's recovery/rehab will affect him.
    Yeah, Tao could be beat Moradi on the right day, but I wouldn’t favor him.

It is crazy how bad Ilya looked. He went 172/207 at kaz nationals. This is a big step down from that. What was he doing between then and now? Was he injured?

8. Likes Rezazadeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Ilya supposedly incurred some kind of back injury last fall? It's why he didn't go to Worlds, I think.

I was talking to someone the other day of what's possible for former AAS lifters to do off the juice, and I think we need to take a look at what Norik did in Armenia then up to 2016 back in the US and how long it took. In 2014, Norik hit 168 and missed low 190s in the CJ at Nationals. He had done 171&210 at Armenian Nationals posted in early November. He also had done 180&220 separately in Armenia in training and 180 at some comp in Armenia before (dunno what he CJ'd after).

Flash forward to 2016 and Norik was playing with 175 and 212 or so. So that's just about 95-97%. Granted Ilya may have been on way more AAS than Norik. We'll never know but it's pretty safe to assume it.

By 2015, Norik was snatching low 170s and CJ 200-205 or so, again basically 95%. Norik was also a lot fluffier as a 94 in the US than he seemed to be in Armenia which is probably the AAS having something to do with that.

Take 10% off Ilya's 185 233 from 2012, and you're around his 172/208 from Kaz nationals give or take. But he may have been on something though a lot of the numbers from the lifters were low compared to their former best.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no way to know the full story from "the outside" of course but the lifting Ilyin has been posting recently hasn't really been that of someone attempting to do their best in competition, regardless of what level of "form" they are actually in... let's see what the rest of the year brings.
    I'm not saying he's playing a game or anything - he may be completely fucked,and he may know it - but there's really no 100% convincing reason for him to be in anything like shape right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    I'm not saying he's playing a game or anything - he may be completely fucked,and he may know it - but there's really no 100% convincing reason for him to be in anything like shape right now.
    I might be misunderstanding what you wrote, but the “100% convincing reason” for him to be in shape for the Asian Games is that the ROBI points system severely disadvantages athletes who fall behind the top group in their weight class.

If you lose points at the start then you have to perform above the level of the top group later on just to erase the points deficit. That’s a massive task for a lifter in a class which is already stacked with good performances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody in Kazakhstan knows how to effectively train without steroids. In this context actual injury seems plausible. I think he began his preparation like in the past and then it was just accumulative stress to failure. The "remedies" taking care of said stress were missing.

It's really not surprising this didn't work. Ilyin doesn't know anything else since the age of likely 13-14.