Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asian Championships 2019 (20th-28th April)

Post Thanks / Like

Asian Championships 2019 (20th-28th April)

The 2019 Asian Championships will run from 20th-28th April in China.

I'm most excited for the 96kg class: Ilya has to post a total to have any chance of qualifying for Tokyo 2020! The field will be very competitive: Ilya, Rostami, Tian Tao, Meso and Moradi (but Moradi will probably just weigh in and not compete due to injury) - what an insane line up!

I can't find any entry lists yet, but hope to see guys like Zhiyong, Irawan, Rostami and Alihosseini compete.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rezazadeh; 04-15-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Iran's team (from weightliftinghouse, but I'm only mentioning the ones I'm excited about):

96kg:
    - Rostami (Olympic Gold medalist and WR holder at 85kg, but hasn't adapted well to 96kg yet: last competed in 2018 Asian Games - snatched 175kg but bombed out in cl&j with attempts of 218/220/220. Personally, I'm excited and optimistic: I think he has a good shot at a medal)
    - Moradi* (continuing his rehab, posted some training on IG today and he looks decent, probably will just weigh in)

102kg:
    - Reza Beiralvand (very excited about this guy!! only 22 years old, won bronze at worlds at 102kg last year with 175/218 - won gold in the cl&j. fancy him to win gold here and post PBs, he can lead the 102kg division in a few years imo because it's very weak at the moment)

109kg:
    - Kia Ghadami (went 173/231 at the Fajr Cup recently, and has impressive training lifts (193/241), decent shot at a medal but only because of weak competition)
    - Ali Hashemi (two time world gold medalist at 102kg, he's moved up to 109kg for an Olympic place, PB total of 404kg, Yang Zhe should smoke him, but a silver/bronze is likely)

+109kg:
    - Alihosseini (last posted 208/248 at the 2018 Asian Games, should comfortably win gold here as I believe he's the best of the rest at super heavy now that Salimi has retired, he is a bit hit and miss with the snatch but cl&js 245-250+ better than anyone that isn't called Lasha. He's getting old and injured a lot these days though, so I expect he'll retire after 2020, odd to think a world medalist that cl&j 251kg will have his career looked at as somewhat of a disappointment...)
    - Ali Davoudi (very excited about this 20 year old!! world junior gold medalist for 2018 and holds JWRs for both snatch and total. placed 8th in worlds last year as a 19 year old with 197/227. got a new PB of 231kg in the cl&j in the Fajr Cup earlier this year. he's very young but I expect him to medal here and compete for medals at worlds in a few years time - I expect at least 200/230 here from him)
    Last edited by Rezazadeh; 04-15-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rostami totaled 392 at the Fajr cup, think he can do 400-405 though. Tian will attempt 231.

Start book should be out on the 19th.

Since it's in China there's going to be plenty of world records. I'd estimate we'll see WR attempts in 12 out of 14 Olympic classes (no W87/M109+).

4. Likes Rezazadeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Rostami totaled 392 at the Fajr cup, think he can do 400-405 though. Tian will attempt 231.

Start book should be out on the 19th.

Since it's in China there's going to be plenty of world records. I'd estimate we'll see WR attempts in 12 out of 14 Olympic classes (no W87/M109+).
    Cheers for the info on the start book.

Ah yes, I forgot about the Fajr cup for Rostami (172/220). I don't think 405 is possible given the fajr cup was very recent, but 175/220 would be good for him, but very unlikely he's qualifying for 2020 anyway - those are below Moradi's first lifts (which he always makes).

I agree on the WR attempts - going to be a great event!

How do you see 96kg going down (with Tao Rostami Ilya Meso)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tian with 5kg+ on Rostami who will be 2nd, Elbakh misses his final big c&j. Ilyin 4th with 390 max.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree on Ilya with a 390 max. This upload from a few days ago, its not so much that its a light day, but the coach/athlete mix doesn't seem right here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote an article with profiles of the entire Chinese team for the competition:

https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2...championships/
    If I link to Weightlifting House a lot, that's because I'm the editor there. I want your weightlifting news!

9. Likes Rezazadeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_weightliftinghouse View Post
    I wrote an article with profiles of the entire Chinese team for the competition:

https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2...championships/
    Nice writeup!
    'With bests of 139/169/308, he actually has a higher best clean and jerk at 169, ' is a bit of a mystery.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also think the Lü write up is incorrect stating his best lifts came at a higher bodyweight years ago because he has only lifted at 69 and 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read that Iran can only send 2 men and 2 women to Tokyo, is this true? I assume the rules changed because I remember in previous Olympics multiple athletes from the same country in the same weight class, let alone overall...

Is this specific to Iran - I can't imagine China only being able to send 2 men and 2 women lol?