Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Asian Championships 2019 (20th-28th April)

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know why Wang Zhouyu wasn't at Asian Champs in the 76kg class?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts on how his post drug performance affects his legacy in the sport?

And is it possible the Chinese aren’t doping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Anyone know why Wang Zhouyu wasn't at Asian Champs in the 76kg class?
    Wang moved - or was moved - to 87. She has snatched 125 at 75, so could hang with or beat Rim there. But her c&j potential was likely assessed as too weak in comparison to Zhang. Who had a rather poor performance today, totaling less than at 71.

4. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezazadeh View Post
    Tao went 175/181/183 and 220/231x/231x for gold and a total of 403
    Meso went 170/174x/174 and bombed out in the clean and jerk (220x/221x/222x), he's got a long way to go to get that 231 WR
    Ilya snatched 155/160x/160 and 185/xxx/xxx in the clean and jerk (declined his second and third lifts) for a total of 345
    Mousavi went 166/171x/171x and 205/207/225x for a total of 373

Ilya no longer undefeated in international competition.
    The great Ilya Ilyin totaled 1kg more than CJ Cummings.

6. Likes erpel, Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    102kg:

Reza Beiralvand (IRI) gets gold as expected with 173/216 for a 389 total (declined to take a third cl&j lift because he already had gold)
    Amir Hoghoughi (IRI) gets silver with 169/215 for a 384 total

the rest aren't even worth talking about, very weak competition at 102 as usual

Post Thanks / Like
    Sub 400kg totals @ 102kg aren’t really worth talking about either tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezazadeh View Post
    102kg:

Reza Beiralvand (IRI) gets gold as expected with 173/216 for a 389 total (declined to take a third cl&j lift because he already had gold)
    Amir Hoghoughi (IRI) gets silver with 169/215 for a 384 total

the rest aren't even worth talking about, very weak competition at 102 as usual

9. Likes psstein liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    Sub 400kg totals @ 102kg aren’t really worth talking about either tbh.
    In terms of worlds medals that's not true. The highest at 102kg at worlds last year was 396kg by Hashemi.

I just mentioned the top two here because the rest were even worse, but Beiralvand is young enough to do very well at 102kg in the future imo (admittedly helped massively by the lack of competition) so I was just interested in how he did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    I might be misunderstanding what you wrote, but the “100% convincing reason” for him to be in shape for the Asian Games is that the ROBI points system severely disadvantages athletes who fall behind the top group in their weight class.

If you lose points at the start then you have to perform above the level of the top group later on just to erase the points deficit. That’s a massive task for a lifter in a class which is already stacked with good performances.
    However big an "if" it turns out to be let's assume for this discussion he's still physically able to get in shape to win in Tokyo...if so he will still be able to get into good enough shape score enough Robi points on the run in to Tokyo to qualify, especially given Kazakhstan's fucking stupid One Lifter Punishment...As far as I'm aware there is no current "minimum Robi Point Line of Death" in any Category (or is there?)

At this point it is looking somewhere from unlikely to highly bloody unlikely but... it's still too early to count him out, and if the injury story is even half true this is pretty much what you would expect to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    No, as they've had some positives over the last ten years. I think the Chinese use drugs to augment training, rather than drive training. As I phrased it on Reddit, they use, but they're not dependent.

I've never seen a Chinese program, but I'd bet that most of what they do is volume with fairly moderate weights (75-85% range). I see zero evidence that they have a "Russian-Bulgarian combination." For the most part, they have the same men's team year after year. That strongly suggests a low injury rate and some pretty well thought-out training.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    1. The entire country got banned from competing internationally for a year (2017); and

2. They've already lost half their team spots for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics; and

3. There were rumours at the Asian Games that at least one of the well-known Chinese athletes has just been popped with public disclosure to follow soon.

Even if #3 is just a rumour, it would be hard to conclude that they aren't doping. At best you could say that they don't appear to be systematically doping.