Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asian Championships 2019 (20th-28th April)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezazadeh View Post
    I read that Iran can only send 2 men and 2 women to Tokyo, is this true?
    The most that any nation can send is four men and four women.

Several nations are reduced to fewer places than that because of anti-doping violations.

Thailand are out completely (voluntarily withdrew in order to be allowed to continue as host)

Four nations are down to a maximum of one male and one female place due to 20+ violations since 2008.

Twelve nations, including Iran, are down to a maximum of two male and two female places due to 10+ violations since 2008.

China have had seven violations since 2008. If they get three violations within the qualifying period (there's another rule for that), they will be excluded completely but right now, they have the normal maximum of four men and four women.

Note that these are all maximum allocations – all athletes have to individually qualify with Robi points.

If you want the gory details, I wrote a comprehensive article on the system
    Last edited by dan_weightliftinghouse; 04-18-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    If I link to Weightlifting House a lot, that's because I'm the editor there. I want your weightlifting news!

2. Likes Rezazadeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    Nice writeup!
    'With bests of 139/169/308, he actually has a higher best clean and jerk at 169, ' is a bit of a mystery.
    Maybe not worded as well as it could be – I was pointing out that Qin Fulin's best clean and jerk of 169 is better than Li Fabin's best of 168 even though Qin Fulin's best total is not as good.
    If I link to Weightlifting House a lot, that's because I'm the editor there. I want your weightlifting news!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    I also think the Lü write up is incorrect stating his best lifts came at a higher bodyweight years ago because he has only lifted at 69 and 77.
    Good catch – thanks. Will correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Armenia will be down to 1+1 as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Armenia will be down to 1+1 as well.
    Ah yes, a couple of re-analysis positives takes them to 20. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_weightliftinghouse View Post
    The most that any nation can send is four men and four women.

Several nations are reduced to fewer places than that because of anti-doping violations.

Thailand are out completely (voluntarily withdrew in order to be allowed to continue as host)

Four nations are down to a maximum of one male and one female place due to 20+ violations since 2008.

Twelve nations, including Iran, are down to a maximum of two male and two female places due to 10+ violations since 2008.

China have had seven violations since 2008. If they get three violations within the qualifying period (there's another rule for that), they will be excluded completely but right now, they have the normal maximum of four men and four women.

Note that these are all maximum allocations – all athletes have to individually qualify with Robi points.

If you want the gory details, I wrote a comprehensive article on the system
    Thanks for clarifying.

Sucks for Iran but I think only Moradi and Alihosseini would be guaranteed medals in Tokyo anyway.

Not a fan of these collective punishment bans, just because some individuals cheated why should clean young rising stars like Davoudi have their ability to compete at the top level reduced? I get that it's supposed to be a deterrent but if individuals wants to cheat then they will, so I don't see why the state as a whole should be held responsible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because it is often not just an individual in these countries. Russia and its former soviet blocs, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, and many other countries have dozens of positives under their belts because of systemic doping encouraged/required by their national training organizations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Because it is often not just an individual in these countries. Russia and its former soviet blocs, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, and many other countries have dozens of positives under their belts because of systemic doping encouraged/required by their national training organizations.
    If you can prove it then punish the national body responsible, but don't punish the clean athletes that just happen to be born in the same country as non-clean athletes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you happen to be on the national team in many of these countries, yet don’t fail your test, you are lucky then. For example, back in 2006 the entirety of Iran’s international squad save for Rezazedeh and another teammate failed their tests. Do you honestly believe that Rezazedeh and the other teammate were the only two clean lifters in that training hall and were unfairly banned? That they didn’t know what was going on?

Are any of the lifters in team Astana (Kaz) who miraculously didn’t fail their tests when Ilya was there clean?

We’re talking about countries that are receiving doping bans for youth and junior athletes on the regular. Clean does not apply here for any athlete who is on those national squads.

11. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezazadeh View Post
    Not a fan of these collective punishment bans
    How else can you force countries to take their anti-doping responsibilities seriously? I doubt fines would work.

If large numbers of athletes from a country are failing international anti-doping tests, that shows us that the anti-doping system in that country is not functional, either through incompetence or deliberate choices. If that is the case then no athlete from that country can be trusted to be clean.

I would rather see one-year complete suspensions of countries with significant numbers of failed international tests, rather than just reducing quotas.