Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pan-American Championships 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Pan-American Championships 2019

Some good action so far in the first couple of days, including plenty of records being set and a couple of close groups.

Day 1 and 2 Report – (W45, W49, M55, M61, M67, W55, M73, W59)
    If I link to Weightlifting House a lot, that's because I'm the editor there. I want your weightlifting news!

Post Thanks / Like
    CJ destroyed everyone and every thing. Kid is a freak.

3. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kate Nye swept all 3 gold medals and set all junior and senior USA and Pan-Am records. Each of her 6 lifts broke a record, either junior or senior.

Mattie Rogers swept all 3 silver medals.

Jourdan Delacruz won snatch bronze, clean&jerk gold, and overall gold.

5. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    EDIT: Oops, posted my log entry here by mistake. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    CJ’s Jerk is delicious. They’ve really found a technique that works for him. Starting to become really consistent with it and it has to have longevity / injury prevention benefits.
    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 04-26-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    Kate Nye swept all 3 gold medals and set all junior and senior USA and Pan-Am records. Each of her 6 lifts broke a record, either junior or senior.
    Funny that she holds the Pan American clean & jerk record, but not the USAW clean & jerk record. That's still standing as the 136kg from the AR standards set. I think her 110kg snatch is the highest snatch of any non-superheavy USA lifter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnadom View Post
    Funny that she holds the Pan American clean & jerk record, but not the USAW clean & jerk record. That's still standing as the 136kg from the AR standards set. I think her 110kg snatch is the highest snatch of any non-superheavy USA lifter.
    I didn't even notice that. Ya, the "standards" that were adopted are stupid. Whatever the most weight lifted in each weight class should be the new record.

Oh well, she'll knock down that record soon enough.

11. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    I don't think the hate towards Mattie is deserved, but at the same time, it seems she's paying it too much attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I don't think the hate towards Mattie is deserved, but at the same time, it seems she's paying it too much attention.
    I don't have Twitter, but I follow her on other outlets. I like Mattie and want her to do well both for herself and USAW. She definitely doesn't deserve the amount of abuse she receives, but she definitely doesn't help the situation. She tends to kind of keep digging herself deeper when people get to her.

She and her boyfriend both come across as very thin skinned in their responses to others. Unfortunately in the modern era, internet trolls are like sharks; even the smallest drop of blood in the water will being them from far and wide.

There is also the fact that she hasn't improved her total very much, while Kate has caught and surpassed. Throw on top of that the fact that both she and her coach have both said that she is hard to coach, doesn't follow her programming, does what she wants, and isn't making much effort to fill out her weight class. I would never want to be a young lady with body image issues, especially a famous one who is judged daily by trolls on the internet, but then you have Kate Nye who seems to be embracing the situation and adapting as well as possible. The popular opinion seems to be that Mattie isn't willing to add any weight that will take away from her figure. And if I remember correctly, that belief is based on statements she has made in the past, however I have never seen nor heard those statements for myself, so that very well may simply be rumor.

She also catches heat because it seems there is always an excuse at every competition where she doesn't perform well. Perhaps the excuses are legitimate, and she had a run of bad luck when it comes to competition timing, but they add to the trolling situation. This time she seems to have caught a virus that made her vomit, which causes immediate dehydration, fatigue, weakness, etc. So it's amazing that she even completed. I feel bad for her. But for the trolls, it's just another excuse.

Personally I hope that she and Kate Nye both make the Olympics and both do amazingly well. That might shut some people up.

14. Likes psstein liked this post