Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pan-American Championships 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    There is also the fact that she hasn't improved her total very much, while Kate has caught and surpassed. Throw on top of that the fact that both she and her coach have both said that she is hard to coach, doesn't follow her programming, does what she wants, and isn't making much effort to fill out her weight class. I would never want to be a young lady with body image issues, especially a famous one who is judged daily by trolls on the internet, but then you have Kate Nye who seems to be embracing the situation and adapting as well as possible. The popular opinion seems to be that Mattie isn't willing to add any weight that will take away from her figure. And if I remember correctly, that belief is based on statements she has made in the past, however I have never seen nor heard those statements for myself, so that very well may simply be rumor.
    No, Camargo has said on the WLHouse podcast that she had to drink a gallon of water to fit into the 71 kg class, which is absurd. I have no strong feelings about either, but Rogers seems like she wants to be a fitness model who does WL. Nye/Vibert (Nybert?) seems more of the "whatever I have to do to win" type. Both are fine, but one belongs in a magazine, whereas the other belongs on the national team.

2. Likes Bulldog73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jhonatan Rivas put up a solid 180/211, which is a big step up after 176/201 at Worlds. There aren't many 96's capable of a 180 snatch and that only puts Tian Tao and Yauheni Tsikhantsou ahead of him in the total.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    No, Camargo has said on the WLHouse podcast that she had to drink a gallon of water to fit into the 71 kg class, which is absurd. I have no strong feelings about either, but Rogers seems like she wants to be a fitness model who does WL. Nye/Vibert (Nybert?) seems more of the "whatever I have to do to win" type. Both are fine, but one belongs in a magazine, whereas the other belongs on the national team.
    I'm not sure why she doesn't go down to 64 if she has so much trouble filling out 71. She'll never fill out 76 for the Olympics should she qualify, and be at a major weight disadvantage. 64 seems to fit more with her goals. It seems that as light as she often is, the cut would be easier for her than the bulk she needs.

5. Dislikes Blairbob disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jessica Lucero swept all 3 bronze medals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kitts with 176 / 223 / 399, garnering silver / gold / gold

Great performance, he’s getting through masses of volume in his training each year and slowly seeing his total inch up because of it. Not out of the question that he could total 410 by Tokyo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is Mattie Rogers bothering with the 71s anyway? Olympics is 64 / 76. It would have seemed obvious to me that she should have started packing on the mass and moved up to train and compete at a consistent body weight all year round within the 76.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    Why is Mattie Rogers bothering with the 71s anyway? Olympics is 64 / 76. It would have seemed obvious to me that she should have started packing on the mass and moved up to train and compete at a consistent body weight all year round within the 76.
    Shit, you should clue her in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kitts with 176 / 223 / 399, garnering silver / gold / gold

Great performance, he’s getting through masses of volume in his training each year and slowly seeing his total inch up because of it. Not out of the question that he could total 410 by Tokyo.
    Solid performance by Wes but he got a bit lucky with that last jerk.

11. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well she can't even fill out the 71kg class. In order to lift as a 76, she would have to weigh in at over 71kg. And that isn't happening. For the Olympics she can qualify as a 71 and use that in the 76 division, since there is no 71 in the Olympics.

Im still shocked she hasn't cut down to 64. She used to have trouble filling in the old 69 weight class. It seems that as much trouble as she has gaining weight, and her seeming desire to stay thinker and lighter, she would cut down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Shit, you should clue her in!
    Yeah I felt like a dope the minute I posted that tbf. Most strength athletes jump at the chance to gain weight so there’s obviously more at play here. Tian Tao looks a little soft aesthetically as a 96 but he made the jump in short order and is competing at that level. So I’d just assumed that’s the thing to do. However judging by her most recent tweets people idly speculating on the Internet about this is severely irritating her, and what seems obvious and easy isn’t.

Bottom line is that we can all agree she’s been an amazing lifter the past couple of years and Tokyo shouldn’t be her last quad so she’s got plenty of her career ahead to figure all this out and get better luck on comp days.