Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pan-American Championships 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Hogie, I don't think is up to date exactly but you can check out US rankings for ROBI here: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightli...quad-Standings

Post Thanks / Like
    Is IWRP just not going to update anything anymore? There are Euros but no PanAms, Asian, African. IWF site sucks for these things. Is WL house intending on putting up full results of any comp?

3. Likes mrodock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will they select based strictly on ROBI? I would think it’s not a direct correlation with potential to medal, based on other athletes. But it’s probably the most fair assuming they got it equally weighted across weight classes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogie roll View Post
    Will they select based strictly on ROBI? I would think it’s not a direct correlation with potential to medal, based on other athletes. But it’s probably the most fair assuming they got it equally weighted across weight classes.
    Assuming that this is a "for the U.S." question, basically "yes". Per each weight class, only 14 athletes can go with a max of 1 athlete per country: top-8 by end of qualifying period ROBI score (top ROBI from each of the 3 qualifying periods + next highest ROBI across all 3 periods = one's ROBI score) + 5 top-ranked athletes from Africa, Europe, Pan-America, and Asia not already top-8 by ROBI + 1 extra (from host country or via Tripartite Commission invitation).

U.S. can send 4 females and 4 males, max: considering the above-written qualification standards/rules, it is a stretch to believe that it will be easy for the U.S. to get more than four women and four men top-8 ranked and/or other otherwise-qualified. If they do, then I'd assume that Phil and company would/should (have to?) take the top-4 (among men and among women) by ROBI. In my opinion, for the U.S. women in the log-jam that is the race for an Olympic spot in the 76kg class, it behooves them to rack up as many points as possible by lifting outside the 76 class: lifting just 2-3kg more in the non-Olympic 81kg class or lifting quite a bit less in the non-Olympic 71kg class (both these classes are a bit less competitive than 76kg. . . though the 71, for now, appears to be much more loaded than the 81), may produce a nice collection of ROBI points. . . one just has to make sure to get in at least one gold-level and one silver-or-higher level competition in at 76kg.

I am not sure if a country is obliged to strictly follow the ROBI score rules when it comes to selecting their team in a situation where >4 individual men or women have qualified in ranking terms. Perhaps they can have a "highest ROBI in chosen Olympic class" criteria where, among those qualified by ranking, they select the team (the top-4) by considering only ROBI score specific to the Olympic class in which the individuals' aim to compete. In this case, to use the women's 76kg example, a lifter's 71kg lifts could be applied as if they were lifting in 76 to get a "76-ROBI", but a lifter's 81kg lifts could not be used similarly and would essentially be thrown out. The reason I think that the U.S. (and others) would do this is the PanAm list on the USAW site, where everyone is ranked (if I'm remembering correctly) by the ROBI in the relevant Olympic class. Someone tell me where I'm wrong.
    Last edited by mb_here; 04-29-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. I failed to consider all of the other non US lifter’s ROBIs would create a rank of invites. So you’re never comparing a US lifter against other US lifters in different weight classes. It only matters how they rank internationally. Got it thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooo... I was traveling and I looked for videos of CJ, Wilkes, Arthur, and Robles but couldn't find any. There are videos for Kitts, Osorio, and Rogers. What's the deal?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the policy wording for USAW....

Qualification through the Continental Level
    After the Qualification Period has ended, the highest-ranked one (1) athlete from each continent based on the IWF Absolute Ranking www.iwf.net (see attachment A for definition), not already represented in his or her bodyweight category and from a nation that does not already have the maximum 4 athletes per gender, will also be qualified by name to the Olympic Team by the IWF.
    Tie-Breaker
    If two American athletes tie at the Continental Level, USA Weightlifting is given the right by the IWF to choose which athlete qualifies by name. The following criteria will be used to break the tie:
    • The athlete who placed highest in the IWF Absolute Ranking (See attachment A for details).
    If still tied, then:
    • The athlete who had the highest ranked ROBI score (see www.iwf.net for the ROBI score details) according to the IWF Qualification System.
    If still tied, then:
    • The athlete with the highest individual event ROBI score.
    USA Weightlifting procedure in the event 5 or more athletes qualify *
    In the event that the USA qualifies more than four (4) athletes per gender, USA Weightlifting must choose which four (4) athletes to select out of those qualified by the IWF.
    In this event, USA Weightlifting will select the highest ranked four (4) athletes, in the order that they rank in the IWF Absolute Ranking in their Olympic bodyweight category according to the IWF qualification system defined in Attachment A. If there is a tie between two or more athletes, the athlete(s) ranked highest in the IWF Absolute Ranking (See attachment A) will be selected. If two or more athletes are still tied, the athlete(s) with the highest single event ROBI score from the Olympic Qualification events (as defined in Section 1.2.1. above) will be selected.