Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming Advice for Strong Pull with Weak Commitment

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    ...just too much damn typing.
    I call BS!

jirou, don't underestimate rest for motor learning. Once the movement starts clicking with a light weight, don't immediately add weight. Get in a few good sets, and take a 10 minute break. Really visualize the movement, and then add a small amount of weight to do a few more sets. Save the next increase for another day. Don't get anxious, nervous, or frustrated. Stay focused and calm. It is literally a learning process, not a muscular effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post
    I call BS!
    Heh... oh that was just a blurb. You've known me long enough to know that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Oh man i could totally fix this if you were local. I cant do online coaching anymore, just too much damn typing. But i had the exact same problem, except my strength levels were far higher. I had the same problem ov every single coach, even the good ones, trying to use the same methods to fix it too... instead ov specifically addressing the issue and rectifying that. I had to deconstruct it myself and learn it all myself. One thing CNL says that is spot-on, is with the expectations. One thing i had in mind, was that if you cant even snatch 40kg properly, then there's no way in hell you'll snatch 80+ properly. So fix your shit at a weight you can figure out quickly, and then simply move your 'technical maxes' up. Quit going heavy if your body takes over and does shit you dont want. You're just training it to continue doing that.

I'm training a VERY strong powerlifter right now, and she does not have these issues (despite even her 205kg back squat/60/75kg lifts ratio), and thats because i never let her move past a weight she couldn't do well. When strength is far superior to technique and lifts, you simply cant coach cookie-cutter, or 'traditional'. Its all about problem-solving, endless problem-solving, which... in essence, is what good coaching is.
    With the 40kg thing as well, I think a problem as well is certain light weights feel easy, and you feel starting with 30kg for example is pointless, because it's light and has no training effect. So for this guy with the 80 snatch, he might start at 50-60 most days to try to work up to 80, because 80 still feels light anyway. I think where the light weights help is not so much strength building, but rhythm. If you had a workout with 80 or 90kg as a projected max for the set for today, and you got the shit end of the motor skill stick so to speak, though it seems counter intuitive, if you're doing triples or doubles, a better way to work to said 80 or 90kg might be 30, 30, 35, 40, 40, 50, 55, 60, 70, 80 x 3, 90x1, even though it's more volume of "pointless" weight, rather than start at 60, 70, 75, 80, 90 and do less volume, as the lower weight sets help your rhythm and speed for the whole workout, even though they're pointless weights, whereas at 60, it might be just challenging enough to feel heavy/sort of build strength, but just heavy enough to ruin your rhythm and speed if you start out with it.

At least that's my random ramble of the day.