Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: steady-state cardio during competition phase?

Post Thanks / Like

steady-state cardio during competition phase?

For the past nine weeks I have been in a preparation phase (a four week cycle, then active rest for a week, followed by another four week cycle), training five days per week (classics + squats for three days, pulls + auxiliary lifts for two days, rest for two days). I have just started a competition phase this week, with my competition coming June 6th. My original thought was to do the classics + squats + pulls three days per week, stretch/myofascial release + some low intensity stead-state cardio (elliptical) for two days (I was thinking active recovery), and rest for two days. However, I have started to worry that the low intensity elliptical workout might be detrimental to my performance. Would doing the elliptical at very low intensities for 25 - 30 minutes twice a week dampen my performance? Would it add to recovery? (I ask because I feel a little worn down heading into this competition phase). I'm not so much worried about added fatigue, but more about doing aerobic training so close to a competition.
    Last edited by jasebolden; 05-06-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The inclusion of something like that seems to serve an autonomic re-calibration effect at best. You could probably skip it altogether and be fine, however some people, particularly those who are used to the effects need 'something' to do. That something however shouldn't be too long, 20min should be enough, nor too intense, aim for a heart rate under 130 (probably slower than you think) - you could also consider mixing up what mode of locomotion you are using although I agree the elliptical is a good choice.

People have been self-dosing 'go for quick stroll to clear my head' for generations. As far as the fatigue and physiological effects go, at that length and intensity, its basically a bit of work for the ol' left ventricle, hardly the sort of deeper fiber type development that 'real' aerobic training consists of for a healthy trained adult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you need it for weight loss, then you can drop it. Since you are asking, it seems that you don't normally include it in your training. Generally the peaking phase isn't the time for experiments, but 2x a week at very low intensity shouldn't hurt anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having done this, its ok. Hell, I did it basically on off days when I went to the gym to coach but barely ate anything since I knew I wasnt gonna train after 3 heavy days.

The key is low intensity. I preferred the elliptical tor rowing, a stationary cycle or jogging but going slow on an assault bike/air cycle is alright as well if your gym doesnt have an expensive bulky elliptical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies and the information. It seems like the consensus is that short, light cardio work would be okay. I will keep it short and low intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    ...however some people, particularly those who are used to the effects need 'something' to do. ...
    I am definitely the type that needs something to do, even on off days.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post
    Since you are asking, it seems that you don't normally include it in your training. Generally the peaking phase isn't the time for experiments, but 2x a week at very low intensity shouldn't hurt anything.
    I have done this in the past, but always after doing it during the preparation phases leading up to a comp phase, and always dropping in the volume. This time I have not been doing it during the prep phase. I also read a few articles recently that were arguing that aerobic exercising would lead to diminished power output...not sure how credible they were though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Having done this, its ok. Hell, I did it basically on off days when I went to the gym to coach but barely ate anything since I knew I wasnt gonna train after 3 heavy days.
    Were you trying to drop weight...or do you routinely have days where you don't eat much? Do you feel that this might hurt your performance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasebolden View Post
    I also read a few articles recently that were arguing that aerobic exercising would lead to diminished power output...not sure how credible they were though.
    I think most of this comes from trying to increase aerobic performance. Obviously you don't want to work that hard.