Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is there a definitive explanation of how ROBI points will be calculated for Tokyo?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a definitive explanation of how ROBI points will be calculated for Tokyo?

There was a lot of discussion before Tokyo 2020 qualifying began about how ROBI points would be calculated for the Tokyo 2020 qualification rankings.

Now that we are at the end of the first qualifying period, I need to find out if there has been a official explanation of how the formula will accomodate changes in the world records. In particular:

1. Has it ever been confirmed that each of the qualifying periods will use an updated ROBI formula based on the new world records that were set during the previous qualifying period?

Or:

2. Will the ROBI formula not be updated and instead be based on the static world records standards which were in place at the start of the first qualifying period?

The IWF website is frustratingly vague. It's ROBI points calculator hasn't even been updated with the new bodyweight classes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    There was a lot of discussion before Tokyo 2020 qualifying began about how ROBI points would be calculated for the Tokyo 2020 qualification rankings.

Now that we are at the end of the first qualifying period, I need to find out if there has been a official explanation of how the formula will accomodate changes in the world records. In particular:

1. Has it ever been confirmed that each of the qualifying periods will use an updated ROBI formula based on the new world records that were set during the previous qualifying period?

Or:

2. Will the ROBI formula not be updated and instead be based on the static world records standards which were in place at the start of the first qualifying period?

The IWF website is frustratingly vague. It's ROBI points calculator hasn't even been updated with the new bodyweight classes.
    The latter of these two, the original ROBI based from World Standards carries.

3. Likes Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The World Records used to calculate the Robi Points are set at the beginning of the Qualification period, i.e. at 01 November 2018 and will remain in effect until the end of the Qualification period.
    Overview and Explanatory Presentation, page 12

5. Likes Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is really helpful.

Thank-you both for the definitive replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Of all the confusion regarding the Qualifying Process I thought calculating the points was the easy bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Of all the confusion regarding the Qualifying Process I thought calculating the points was the easy bit.
    You'd think so - but the official ROBI calculator for Tokyo 2020 has a user input field to adjust the WR, and the IWF presentation on the ROBI system lists as an advantage that ROBI points are "Immediately adjustable in case of new WR".

It was really confusing. So I was glad to get a definitive answer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I now see where the confusion was coming from. You're not supposed to edit the world standard value that's entered automatically. However the field is editable so its function isn't definitive. I agree with calling this a poor design choice, the value should just be displayed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had thought that the world record would be updated at the start of each new 6 month period. The lifts at the continental champs in April were going of the world standards not the world records that were hit at Worlds. But now that we are in the 2nd period the world records have been updated. As such, a 350 total in the 81 kg class would have different points if hit now rather than last month. I guess that also means it is favourable to hit totals in the earlier periods...