Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Australian lifter breaks junior world record in domestic competition

Post Thanks / Like

Australian lifter breaks junior world record in domestic competition

I was talking to a friend in Australia today. It hasn't been reported anywhere else, but the Australian lifter Eileen Cikamatana (who formerly lifted for Fiji) did 118/150/268 in an Australian domestic competition earlier today at a bodyweight of 80.9kg. There is video on facebook for those who are curious (the 150kg C&J appeared to be ridiculously easy)

She is only 19 years old, so these lifts exceed the W81 junior world record standards of 118/145/259 by a considerable margin. Of course they aren't official records because they weren't set at an IWF international tournament, but they were still done under competition conditions.

I only mention this news because she looks like an exciting talent in an unlikely place. I expect that we will see some great things from her over the coming years.
    Last edited by Cleddau; 05-18-2019 at 06:36 AM.

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember her well, she too didn't want the Iranian coach.

Is she going 76 or 87?

Post Thanks / Like
    Fine lifting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    I remember her well, she too didn't want the Iranian coach.

Is she going 76 or 87?
    From what was explained to me, and from what I've been able to piece together from reading media reports, she can't qualify for the Tokyo Olympics.

She was developed by the Fijian coach Joe Vueti as a youngster and later moved to New Caledonia to train under Paul Coffa at the Oceania Weightlifting Institute. The Fijian Weightlifting Federation (under the leadership of Atma Maharaj) had a sudden rush of idiocy and ordered every Fijian elite weightlifter to return to Fiji and train in Suva with an unknown Iranian coach who had never coached in Fiji. When they refused to follow the order their memberships were cancelled.

Cancelling the memberships was probably just a negotiating tactic to force them to back down, but it escalated the situation and all of the Fijian elite weightlifters went on strike to protest against the mistreatment by their national Federation. Because Eileen's membership was cancelled the Fijian Weightlifting Federation was able to exclude her from participating in international competitions - and this meant that she was unable to compete at any of the international qualifying tournaments during the first qualifying period. Which now means she will be unable to qualify for Tokyo.

As an aside, this is the reason why Fiji will be so poorly represented at the Junior World Championships this year. All of their elite weightlifters are still on strike and the Fijian olympic committee has been unable to get either side to back down. So the Fijian Federation has been busy recruiting school kids to fill their team spots.

Recognising the inherent insanity of her situation, the Australian Weightlifting Federation were able to secure her residency in Australia because of her obvious talent and potential as a future Olympic medalist. Which is why she is now competing in Australian domestic competitions.

I may have muddled some of these details as I've been told the story third-hand. But I'm hugely impressed with what she has achieved despite the tragedy of her treatment at the hands of the incompetent and dysfunctional Fijian Federation.
    Last edited by Cleddau; 05-18-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw it in person, she had several kilos in reserve. Some of the numbers she has reportedly done in training are incredible.

https://www.facebook.com/titansolymp...3662764970545/
    Last edited by Hawkpeter; 05-18-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    I saw it in person, she had several kilos in reserve. Some of the numbers she has reportedly done in training are incredible.

https://www.facebook.com/titansolymp...3662764970545/
    I've heard that she did 120/155/275 in training. Which would put her very close to the W81 senior world record standard of 158.

Not a bad effort for a junior lifter who is some distance from the traditional centres of weightlifting excellence.

8. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!! - this recent total by Eileen Cikamatana demonstrates what an incredible lifter she is,as it even exceeds the Commonwealth record of 265kg set by Maryam Usma (NGR) for the old 90+kg class.
    In fact,it is also challenging the world record of 280kg for the old 90kg division set by Tatiana Kasherina.

Old Olympic Lifter

Post Thanks / Like
    Eileen Cikamatana competing today in the Australian Junior Championships in the W87 (at a bodyweight of 85.10). Start weights are 114/145.

Her session has just started. Here is a link to the livestream:

Will we see some more unofficial attempts on the world records?
    Last edited by Cleddau; 08-16-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    Will we see some more unofficial attempts on the world records?
    To answer my own question, she went 114/120x/122x and 145/150/155 at a bodyweight of 85.10 kg.

Her attempt on the 122 snatch would have matched the current W87 junior world record standard.

Her 155 clean & jerk was 5 kg above the current W87 junior world record standard. And it looked like she could have done 160 (the 155 C&J starts at 5:16:40 in the livestream).

Her 269 total matched the current W87 junior world record standard.
    Last edited by Cleddau; 08-18-2019 at 09:14 PM.

12. Likes Hawkpeter, Jason S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic, explosive athlete.