Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition in competition phase

Post Thanks / Like

Nutrition in competition phase

Do you/should you alter your nutrition during a competition phase versus a preparation phase? Since you (typically) cut down on the volume, should you consume less calories if you are trying to maintain weight (even though the intensity typically increases)? What about changing your macros to help the body with the higher intensities?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a good idea. Much of it depends on how you normally eat. For some it might be reducing sugar and fast food. If you eat pretty healthy, then a little reduction calories might be fine. I respond well to a low carb diet, so if I cut carbs down I can lose a little weight without performance suffering. It will just take some experimenting. A 20-24 hour fast on one off day each week might work too. It will depend on the person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda depends if you need to cut weight since you train above and to walk in for the weighin or employ cutting measures (sauna/sweating, spitting, waterloading, etc).

Cutting down volume I generally start eating less though intensity still generates a lot of training stress. I also tend to train above BW.

I mean if you don't have to decrease your calories because your BW is on point, why bother?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends primarily on whether you need to employ weight-cutting strategies. I train 1-2kg above competition weight. I habitually eat 'clean' and at maintanence calories, so I keep macro percentages more or less the same, but start to track them strictly in the preceding two weeks. Carbs stay high at 150g (59kg female.) Next measure is the water load. If I have a bigger cut, I will also employ a gradual taper down of carbs in the three days before competition.

In sum, employ the least possible measures necessary to successfully weigh-in. If you're walking around at bodyweight, I wouldn't bother cutting carbohydrates. I highly doubt it would meaninfully influence body composition for the 3 or so days of training taper. Intensity requires carbohydrates for glycogen replenishment, even in the absence of volume.

Post Thanks / Like
    if bodyweight is where it needs to be
    eat at maintenance
    energy expended from weightlifting is fairly small, we're not endurance athletes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strapping View Post
    if bodyweight is where it needs to be
    eat at maintenance
    energy expended from weightlifting is fairly small, we're not endurance athletes
    Would/do you alter the amount of calories you ingest for periods of lower volume if you want to maintain your weight? If so, by how much?

I was eating around 2700 calories/day to maintain a weight of 75 kg during my prep phases. So I figured that I would drop down to around 2550-2600 calories/day to maintain during my competition phase (no auxiliary pressing or rows). I’m not sure if it’s mental, but I do feel like I am not eating enough (I especially feel this way in the afternoons).

Post Thanks / Like
    How long is your peaking phase and how accurately are you tracking? A difference of 100kcal a day really isn't a lot for someone truly eating 2700ish per day

Eating at an approximate maintenance is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/h...-weightlifters

I disagree with some of the statements made though, like this:

That is why a bench press workout is much more tiring than a clean and jerk workout. It is why Olympic lifters can train their lifts almost daily, including squats. Lifters will also immediately notice how much more taxing front squats are back squats.
    The bench press workout might have longer TUT and more eccentric damage but CJx2 or x3 or complexes can be brutal. A lot more than 5-10reps of bench.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strapping View Post
    How long is your peaking phase and how accurately are you tracking? A difference of 100kcal a day really isn't a lot for someone truly eating 2700ish per day

Eating at an approximate maintenance is fine.
    My competition phase was for around five weeks (my comp is Thursday). I track my macros pretty seriously (I have a spread sheet with food, fat, carb, protein based off of the labels, and everything is weighed). I look at the weekly averages and try to keep that at 2550 - 2600 (I actually decreased each week around 25-35 cal/day starting with the first week of the comp cycle).

Post Thanks / Like
    5 weeks is pretty long for a comp phase. Are you trying to make 73kg or maintaining 75kg?

If you're sitting at 75 and trying to get down to 73, a mild deficit for 2-3 weeks and then approx maintenance is probably fine + water loss if you're over. If not then you can just chill.

The issue with tiny changes like that is that it's just not practical to work with such a fine measurement and small margin for error.